2. MSI NX7600GS 512MB PCI-E

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX7600GS-T2D256EH&class=vga

For the system being built:

Intel Duo Core 2 E6300
ASUS P5L-MX
Kingston PC-5300 2GB (kit)
Samsung 320GB HD
Thermaltake 420W ATX-2 PSU

I am not a serious gamer, I'd be using the PC for downloading, burning, movies, and the occasional game here or there--but it's mainly for Vista to run as smoothly as possible.

I read a little about both brands,but because of the fact that the BFG is a 'GT' , should it be my choice by default?

interesting...

i bought a EVGA 7600gs 512mb on ebay, but then read some user reviews that the fan goes "screwy" after a while, and the card had to be replaced.

...forgot to mention that my motherboard takes DDR2.

capostat said:
interesting...

i bought a EVGA 7600gs 512mb on ebay, but then read some user reviews that the fan goes "screwy" after a while, and the card had to be replaced.

...forgot to mention that my motherboard takes DDR2.
Anything bought on e-bay is buy at your own risk. I'm not saying everything but for a component I put in my system I personally wouldn't.
Anyway your system ram has nothing to do with the card's ram. I run a 8600 card with GDDR3 on my DDR2.
Here are the cards head to head:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=431&card2=387

got ya...

i think i may be overstressing over a graphics card that i wont do much with anyway, but the power supply requirements are a 400w unit for the MSI card. i think i'll be content with that card, but i intended on getting a 420w psu. is this cutting it close? i read an article that said even though you may not use a large portion of the wattage in the psu that the fact that it doesnt have to "max" itself will give it a longer life. i was thinking of getting a 470W unit now... would that be pushing it?

most power units only deliver form 75 to 80% of what they are rated at, at best, so I would say at least get the 470 wat if not more.

thanks...

but you know what. i've changed my mind now and am now going with the bfg 8500gt 215mb. According to their website it requires 300W min. for a Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor. I'd think i'd be safe with a 420/430 W psu...

really? that would be a surprise. i was just looking for a budget card with DX10 to run Vista and some media applications well

I looked up those graphics cards. For Vista I would get the 8500 GT. Is uses 450mhz core/800mhz memory/12.8 bandwidth and DX10. I would get that one so as to have the DX10 included. Good Luck.

pdyckman@comcas said:
I looked up those graphics cards. For Vista I would get the 8500 GT. Is uses 450mhz core/800mhz memory/12.8 bandwidth and DX10. I would get that one so as to have the DX10 included. Good Luck.
Don't throw your money away on the 8500GT, 8600GT is 2x + better than the 8500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back