Why doesn't my dir-300 router's parental control work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I clicked on "Turn parental control on and deny computers access to ONLY these sites", entered the website url in the box, ticked it and set the schedule to always. But when I try to access the blocked web page it takes a little longer than usual but then loads on the website normally.

The two sites entered in the boxes are the ones I've tried to test the feature with, but both are not being blocked.

Can someone see anything I've done wrong?

I have tried emptying the cache and rebooting the computer and router, but still the pages just refuse to be blocked.

What's happening??? Advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• help.JPG
    help.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 7
hum; did you try just the domain name without the http:// ?
also try without the trailing / after the domain name

If jobeard's suggestions do not work, I would consider checking to see if there is a firmware update that can be installed for the router. Other than that, it would seem to be time to call their tech support people.

I thought that surely there would be someone else with the same model router, who could try out the feature. Advanced parental control is listed as one of the major features of the DIR-300, so surely it would work effectively.

UPDATE: I just went to the D-Link website and downloaded and installed firmware version v1.04-tomi-1.1.2 ( I don't know why, but it wasn't showing on Check for Updates). I wasn't expecting it to do anything, but amazingly, it has completely fixed the parental control problem!

The router now effectively blocks any site I set it to, and can do so just by having a keyword entered into it (like "google" instead of "www.google.com").

Thank you very much to everyone who has been helping me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back