Why ever ditch XP for Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-427SS

I'm gonna buy a new laptop, for general business use and some casual use. I'm never gonna play any games on it. I am sooooooo pleased with XP & XP Pro, which I run on 4 separate comps right now. XP works beautifully.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned I may stick with XP for the rest of my life, heheh, though hardware upgrades will eventually force me to upgrade the OS.

Is there ANY real reason at all to go for Vista?

- :confused:

-

Well, at some point MS will decide that XP doesn't exist and kind of disown it :p but if it's a pc for casual use and no gaming then you'll be fine with vista. It's quite similar to xp but it looks pretty nice (not that XP doesn't ;)) and the name of a thing or two have changed. A feature that i like a lot of vista is instead of having "My Documents" and having in that My Pictures, My Videos, My Music etc, you have a folder that is the same name as your username and in that you have Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos etc :)

No, no real reason to leave XP yet. My main PC is now using VHP over XP, while 3 secondary PCs still have XP on them, I have no strong desire to put Vista on them, nor do I have any desire to remove Vista in favor of XP on my main machine.

And whenever I see these discussions, I always feel it necessary to throw out the question of why you are on XP then over 2000. The same reasons you have for not using Vista can be used against XP in favor of 2000.

SNGX1275 said:
....And whenever I see these discussions, I always feel it necessary to throw out the question of why you are on XP then over 2000. The same reasons you have for not using Vista can be used against XP in favor of 2000.

I'm on XP because that's what all my current comps came loaded with. I maintain about 6 comps, all with XP, and XP has been fabulous, rarely any problems.

thanks for comments

HI
i am running vista premium and i havent had any problems have you tryed using vista?
it works great and i was running server 2003 since i didnt wannna go 2 XP since all i had was problems on XP
XP is slow compared to vista it has a million processes that are not used or you could turn off to run the os faster but in server 2003 they are already turned off 4 u

but anyway back on the main topic big scary vista lol
i like it vista runs my games great even the games that are directX9 with higher resolutions for some reasons lol
it downloads much faster and webpages come up very quickly
it installs big games 5 x faster then xp or server 2003
i have seen all the benchmarks about xp being faster then vista
but it works great 4 me
and yes i know it is a resource pig
but VISTA has better load balancing then the previous generation windows's operation systems
and when there is a problem vista gives you a solution or update and downloads it for you problem solved
and you cant go wrong with those direct X 10 games

try vista then get back to me:)

Just because a new OS is released, doesn't necessarily mean that you have to rush and out and get it. This is what M$ want of course, but in fact if XP is working fine for you then there is no reason to upgrade it. You're probably best off avoiding Vista anyway, unless you buy a new PC with it on, until the first or even the second service pack is out. Personally for me it's not worth the money, and there are better free non M$ operating systems out there. :)

yaa i didnt run out in get it i only had it for a month or so i was reluctant to put it on my computer the only reason i ditched server 2003 was because you have to use the built in video card drivers since they video card companies do not produce a 32 bit driver for the os which would give me a occasicanal not harmful but annoying crash and i never was a fan of xp so i took a shot in the dark and i like vista dont bring it down unril you try it

I am getting a new laptop, but don't want to be forced into new Office software (Word, Excel, etc). I currently use Office 2000. Plus I have a bunch of other programs that came out prior to the release of Vista. So, my main worry is being forced to ditch perfectly good software.................I could end up spending more on software than the laptop, lol.

-

kyleb05 said:
it downloads much faster and webpages come up very quickly
it installs big games 5 x faster then xp or server 2003

Well I am not to sure that it downloads stuff any faster than XP or Linux or Apple for that matter. That all depends on how fast your internet is. Don't know if it installs games any faster, I have only ever used it on a laptop that wasn't for gaming. But I would say it all depends on what kind of hardware you have for a game to install fast. I have some good specs and I install games pretty fast on XP. If your not gaming then I would get vista, no problem with it if you only browse the web and use it for word. My sisters laptop has it and it works ok. She is having problems with windows media player where it skips at the end of each song, so I got to figure that out. And it is crashing alot but I suspect that it is because we mixed the dell memory with memory we bought from newegg. :D
So I like XP better right now but once vista gets some of the bugs out it will be fine.

i haven't experienced any "bugs" yet
i don't understand y but it does install games much faster on vista compared to xp and server 03 which i never understood because u can only install as fast as the drive reads and writes
maybe you should run a mem test on it and see if it is the memory

At some time there will be poor driver support for XP and 64bit will be needed for larger memory support

DX10 will be needed in the end for some future games.

But so far, I see no real reason to use Vista. Drivers are still not in best shape and the OS is kind of bloated.

XP should still be cool for a couple more years.

If MS gets back onto the release schedule they are aiming for though, a next version of Windows should be out in just a few years which may cut Vista's life a bit short when compared to XP. It might be possible for many users to just skip out on Vista, much as many skipped out on Windows Me and 2000 for XP.

I use XP and Vista. I had some problems building with the Vista. Wouldnt let me be stable with 4 gigs, and they are at 5 5 5 18 since 4 4 4 12 crashes =/. Creative Sound Drivers are buggy as hell, still no Adobe Flash addon for IE for 64 bit ><. If you get vista, get the 32 bit.

Spleenharvester said:

Not entirely true... Microsoft is only discontinuing OEM shipments, but not support for XP. This means little to end-users.

The 'extended support' will be available until 2014, until of which, updates will be provided (security updates, specifically)
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221

I'll be curious to see if the June discontinuation date is extended, as it has been extended already....................

-

yaa i understand it is hard 2 change because i never said i switch 2 vista then direct x10 played a huge factor but the main reason i switched i wanted 2 take a risk and i don regret it im never going back to XP

SNGX1275 said:
I want to come back here in 2014 and see all you XP fanboys still using it.

lol. By then XP will be like what 98 is now.
I have no reason to go to vista right now. XP is working good for me. I have only ever used vista on a dell laptop that doesn't have the best of specs. I would love to try it on a good desktop and see how it runs games and everything.

SNGX1275 said:

You don't have to be a fanboy of XP just because you happen to prefer it.
To many XP is simply still by far the best choice. Vista is very much in it's beta stages, drivers are immature and performance is often worse.
On top of that it uses more resources.
I'd love to have superprefetch and DX10, but what else is there really that I could use? UAC? Parental control? Aero? The more clicks that I have to do in order to get something done? I even have to setup the powersaving despite that they are set to performance...I have no interest in having one of my hdds spinning down after 10 minutes of inactivity. Louse windows explorer and search function? No tweak UI what so ever... gah.

Well I wasn't entirely serious when I said that. Vista isn't going to drastically become less resource hungry, drivers will probably pick up, but not everything will get a Vista driver, performance may improve some but I seriously doubt it will ever run as fast as XP on the same hardware. New Windows OSes simply do not run faster on the same hardware as a previous OS.

So really, you may be looking at never using Vista and waiting until the next release comes out. That won't be 2014 I'm sure, but if history tells us anything it won't be 2009 or whatever the current forcast is.

The UAC, the DRM, all the restrictions that come with Vista aren't going to get any fewer in the next release either. You may end up with something much worse.

SNGX1275 said:

same here ;)

that other windows will be out by then as well so i would like to see who still has xp. home users that is, not businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back