Will this perform well?

For years, I, the humble GreenWhorne, have been shackled and oppressed by the very chains which laid-birth to me. I have now freed myself and banished that effigy back to whence it cometh! but I've now a new predicament. Will this perform as well as I imagine it will or is this wishful thinking?

(prices in AUS are current, as of 13:17 AEST.)

Intel Core i5 6600K Quad Core LGA 1151 3.5 GHz Unlocked CPU Processor - $339
DeepCool Gammaxx S40 120mm PWM Fan Multi-Socket CPU Cooler - $35
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming LGA 1151 Motherboard - $255
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 GAMING 4GB Video Card - $329
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 8GB (2x 4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Desktop Memory (F4-2133C15D-8GVR) - $59
Samsung 850 EVO 120GB - $110
Seagate 1TB - $75
Cougar STX 550W 80+ White Power Supply - $65
DeepCool Tesseract SW Mid-Tower Case - $55
Samsung S24D300HS 24" LED Widescreen Monitor
Total : ~1.2K

Cannot spend any higher.

What do you think. For the price-tag, will I finally be able to suckle on the voluptuous bosom of silky smooth 50fps @ 1440p?

Last edited:
I recommend AMD card instead as Nvidia's support for previous generation cards is poor. Also GTX960 price is horrible.

I can't speak for Aussie prices, but it's worth looking at the 380's replacements, the 480 and 470.

You may be overspending on the motherboard. It won't have any impact on system performance (with the possible exception of the command below) so you're primarily spending on things like ports and features. If you're not likely to use the majority of the high end connectors then consider a much cheaper board.

There are some indications that a few games can occasionally hit memory bandwidth limitations which affect the minimum FPS. If prices over there are anything like here then you can get faster DDR4-2666 or similar for just a couple of dollars more. You will need a Z170 motherboard for faster speeds, but as you're paying extra for an overclockable processor you'll need one of them anyway.

I can't speak for Aussie prices, but it's worth looking at the 380's replacements, the 480 and 470.

You may be overspending on the motherboard. It won't have any impact on system performance (with the possible exception of the command below) so you're primarily spending on things like ports and features. If you're not likely to use the majority of the high end connectors then consider a much cheaper board.

There are some indications that a few games can occasionally hit memory bandwidth limitations which affect the minimum FPS. If prices over there are anything like here then you can get faster DDR4-2666 or similar for just a couple of dollars more. You will need a Z170 motherboard for faster speeds, but as you're paying extra for an overclockable processor you'll need one of them anyway.

rx480 is almost double the r9380 ($440 & $260). However I'd love to bling the build out, it's on a meagre budget compared to that of a serious gaming module. I'm primarily searching for the most $ : performance pieces to seat this build upon the highest echelon of its tier.
Now using kingston HyperX fury 8gb. Thanks heaps for that heads up.

Back