Win 2K not starting anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am hoping that you can assist me.
What started out as a simple task of gathering my digital photos has turned into a nightmare.

I was working on an old win2K pro machine. I decided to remove my daughters games off the machine and other software that I wasn't using to allow it to boot faster. The last thing I removed was NAV 2006 and then had to do a reboot. Unfortunately the machine never came back after that. As you can see by the two attached images, the machine only gets to a certain point in the start operation and then hangs.

I have also tried the CD boot but it gets to a certain point and then it too hangs. I even tried to be different and use the XP one from my laptop. Naturally that didn't work.

I tried the NAV 2006 CD boot but after 14 hours it was still doing a scan of the disk (in what looked like DOS mode). Norton Utilitied CD boot also didn't seem to do anything for me.

Because I have several Gig of photos to move to my current machine, I was hoping to use the wireless network to move the data across. This means that I am trying to get a loadable Windows going so I can set the network up. The machine has no ethernet card (my stupidity for not opting for one when I bought it... :dead:

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated... at the moment I feel I am up a creek with a paper paddle - and several years of photos over the waterfall (again my stupidity for not backing up before!):dead:

Once I have the photos off the computer, I intend cleaning the disk and handing her over to "ark" or someone who will be able to get some use out of the machine...

Cheers
E

Recoomend your best bet is to take the drive out of the W2K machine and connect it to the other one - use the cable and power supply for the CD drive, perhaps. You can then browse and copy the files "internally"
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back