Win XP crash following startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Mini PC. I've had it for 2 years and in September it started acting up on me so I turned it off and let it sit until recently as I didn't have time to mess with it. When I turn the computer on it boots into Windows and then crashes within a couple of minutes of starting up.

Tried a Diagnostic Startup in msconfig.exe, but got the same behavior. Safe mode seems to work better, but occasionally the keyboard and mouse stop responding, which I'm assuming means it locked up and I think I got a BSOD once or twice in safe mode as well.

The most recent change I made to the system was installing Office 2007, but that was a while before the problems started occurring.

I'm attaching a bunch of mini dumps because I've seen several different stop errors and I'm not sure which dumps corresponded to which errors.

System Specs:
Ram: 1 stick, 1GB Corsair (VS1GB400C3)

Power Supply: Enhance 220W (tried hooking up a Antec 300W, but had same issues.

Video: ATI VisionTek 9200 SE 128MB (tried removing this and using onboard video)

Motherboard: I'm not sure what it is, it was part of the a barebones kit.

So far I've tried the following, but nothing has seemed to work

Disabled onboard video in BIOS (using a PCI video card)
Removed PCI video card and used onboard video only
Ran memtest for ~ 20 hours with no errors
Tried a different power supply
Tried disabling the onboard sound, network card, SATA, and USB support
Ran chkdsk /f /r

I read the minidumps of your first Zip file and of the seven, one could not be read, three were 0x7F errors and in theory, this means that system configuration information is corrupted, especially files essential to Windows startup. In practice it is often caused by RAM problems or other issues.

One cited hardware but no other specifics. Two specifically cited memory corruption.

Two were error 0x50 which means requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Both cited memory corruption.

The final one is 0x24 meaning a problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

1. I know you ran memtest for ~ 20 hours but bad memory has been known to pass this test from time to time. Try running it again for 7 Passes.

2. Run a full harddrive diagnostics by utilizing the free utility your harddrive manufacturer has on their website.

* Get back to us with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back