WIN XP network setup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
My network looks like this (I hope my dwg makes sense):

Internet<---<via dial up, internal modem>-----PC1<-----<Ethernet cable>----Linksys Router<-----<wireless>-----PC2

(In words, PC1 is connected to the internet via an internal dial-up modem. It is also connected, via a CAT 5 cable to a Linksys Router. PC2 connects to the network via a wireless Linksys card).

So PC1 is setup up for ICS. Using static IP addresses because if I enable DHCP the server continually picks a domain that doesn't match that of the wireless network!?

PC1 = 192.168.0.1
Router = 192.168.0.10
PC2 = 192.168.0.2

Problems:
1. PC2 can access the shared files and printer on PC1, but PC1 cannot access PC2 (ping or otherwise). PC2 appears in the network neighborhood on PC1, but trying to access it results in an error (stating either invalid persmissions, or path not found). PC2 has been enabled for file and print sharing. 802.1x authentification has been disabled, as well as firewalls. Is there some kind of network sniffer out there that I can install on these PCs to try to determine exactly what is going wrong? I enabled logging, but it doesn't provide the necessary info. Any idea what setting I am missing?

2. PC2 cannot access the internet even though in the network neighborhood it shows the internet gateway to the proper dial up ISP. I can dial up the connection from PC2 (thru PC1) but internet explorer cannot get onto the internet. I have set the internet connection to use the 'broadband connection that is always on" based on info from Microsoft web page.

Thanks,

Carol

A setup like that will never work very well. I have tried it on several occasions.
A modem-router works far far better.

First the LAN
Are PC1 & PC2 both signing into the same workgroup?
Does PC2 have file and print sharing enabled?
Can you connect PC2 by cable while diagnosing problems?
Some routers do not have an automatic link between the wireless LAN & the cable LAN.
Second the WAN or internet access.
Disable ALL firewalls while trying to find out what is wrong.
As Rik says this is not going to work well - I would set the PCs back to finding IP addresses automatically and enable the DHCP server in the LinkSys router. Reboot everything, router first, and see if the PCs collect an IP address in the correct range.

>>>Are PC1 & PC2 both signing into the same workgroup?
Yes
>>>Does PC2 have file and print sharing enabled?
Yes
>>>Can you connect PC2 by cable while diagnosing problems?
That's my next move if I cannot figure this out...however, that requires tearing down the PC to move it closer to the router, or making a very long cable.
>>>Some routers do not have an automatic link between the wireless LAN & the cable LAN.
The router is a BEFW11S4 and I have set it to router mode (not gateway). I'm not sure what your statement means...are you saying when PC1 makes a request on the network, it would not attempt to forward the packet to PC2? Would the wireless PC show up in the network neighborhood of PC1 if that was the case? Is there a way to log what is going on at each point of the network?

>>>Disable ALL firewalls while trying to find out what is wrong.
Already did that.
>>>As Rik says this is not going to work well -
I realize that. It's for my business network and all we have available is dial up...fortunately, we don't need, or do, much internet work.

>>>I would set the PCs back to finding IP addresses automatically and enable the DHCP server in the LinkSys router.
When I did that, PC2 can see the wireless network but cannot connect to it because the PCs IP address gets set to a different domain...not sure if it was APIPA or not. I'll try it again.

Thanks for the input

Some routers do not have an automatic link between the wireless LAN & the cable LAN.

With some routers including some of the LinkSys range, there is a tick box to make the two LANs separate = the wireless is one and the cable is the other and there is no connection between the two.
Given your symptoms, this might be the issue here.

AlbertLionheart said:
With some routers including some of the LinkSys range, there is a tick box to make the two LANs separate = the wireless is one and the cable is the other and there is no connection between the two.
Given your symptoms, this might be the issue here.

I have poured over the settings for all 3 devices more times than I care to admit. I don't recall the check box you mention. I'll get a chance to check it later this afternoon. Is it possible it's lumped in with some other setting under a terminology I am unfamiliar with, thereby making it not obvious?

Thanks again....I'll let you know how it turns out.

Carol

Ugh...

I found some documentation that stated definitively that I cannot use static IPs w/ICS. And that PC1 MUST be the DHCP Server. So, with that information in hand, I attempted to set it up as stated. However, I cannot find how to tell PC1 which domain to use. I attempted to set the router (which has a fixed IP address) as the gateway within PC1s settings hoping that that would make it use that domain with no luck.

Does anyone know how to specify a domain? The router has the capability to provide DHCP, and when selected to perform that function, it provides options for you to select. I have not found a similiar option page for XP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back