Windows 10 could be sold on USB flash drives alongside DVDs and downloads

midian182

Staff member

windows usb

With the release of Windows 10 just over a month away, a report on German site WinFuture claims Microsoft is planning to sell USB flash drive versions of its latest OS alongside the classic DVD format. The report says that both the Home and Professional versions of Windows 10 will be made available, offering 32-bit and 64-bit install options, and each USB stick will allow for the operating system to be installed and licensed for use on one PC.

windows usb microsoft flash drive windows 10 windows 10 flash drive

These flash drive versions will reportedly be more expensive than their DVD/digital counterparts. Microsoft has already confirmed that Windows 10 Home will be priced at $119.99 and Windows 10 Professional will go for $199.99. If this latest leak is to be believed, in their USB versions the Home edition sees a $25 increase while the Professional edition will cost an extra $38.

Those who already own a Windows 7 or 8.1 system can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for up to a year after it launches on July 29. If you are among the many taking Microsoft up on its offer via Windows Update, but would still appreciate a flash-based copy for fresh installs, there's always the option of creating a bootable USB drive within the operating system itself.

With an ever increasing number of PCs abandoning optical drives altogether it makes sense to have a flash-based variant as an option alongside digital downloads. It's fast, they're easy to carry around, and unlike with DVDs you get both 32- and 64-bit versions of the OS in a single place.

Permalink to story.

4GB pendrive goes for $5 now. Win10 Home costs $110 (sorry, $119 now), $144 for pendrive version. Good deal.
The only way they can even justify this is if the drive is locked down so people can't make a mistake deleting it. Hell Microcenter gives 16GB drives out for free from time to time.

I kinda like the direction Microsoft is taking by offering Win10 on a USB flash drive. Hell, I have not had a optical drive installed on any of my desktop PCs for a few years now. I just don't need them anymore.

Good decision for Microsoft IMO.

I'm pretty sure it won't be a simple 4gb drive as some are saying for $5. Probably it will have integrated security/encryption/key. Or that is what I would do if I was going to sell something on a flashdrive.

4GB pendrive goes for $5 now. Win10 Home costs $110 (sorry, $119 now), $144 for pendrive version. Good deal.
You beat me to it. I'll buy it on a thumb drive if it's on a 5TB USB type-C drive. (although my rig doesn't sport such interfaces yet)

Back