Windows 10 Mobile rollout for older phones seemingly delayed until February

Scorpus

Staff member

Windows 10 Mobile has been available on new phones like the Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL since November 2015, but the mobile operating system's roll out to older handsets has been repeatedly delayed.

The latest reports suggest that Windows 10 Mobile won't become available to Windows Phone 8 devices until the end of February. The roll out was previously supposed to begin in January, but for unknown reasons, it seems like Microsoft has delayed the update once again.

The news originates from French carrier Bouygues Telecom, who originally stated that Windows 10 Mobile would begin rolling out in the week of January 18th. Since then, the information provided to the carrier has changed, and although they're waiting for "more precise communication", they believe the update won't be available until late February.

This information also seems to gel with the latest information from Vodafone Australia, who say that they've finished testing Windows 10 Mobile and are only waiting on "confirmation of rollout schedule" before they proceed. It seems that the OS was originally going to be distributed this week, but Microsoft has now pushed the launch back, leaving carriers waiting for release approval.

For Windows Phone fans waiting patiently for a Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, this latest news will come as a disappointment. There is a chance that Microsoft is using the delay to polish the operating system for public release, but the company could also be waiting for MWC 2016, held in late February, to announce a roll out during their press conference.

Permalink to story.

I had the w10 mobile preview on my 1520 and it crashed, meaning I lost all the pictures of my friends Bachelor party. As long as they release a working product I don't care how long it is delayed.

"Error, ..." received on core WP 10 app downloads from the Store is serious business.

Last edited:
I wonder how it is going to work on my wife's Lumia 830... the quality of this release will determine if I am gonna switch to WP from IOS. Fingers crossed it will work good (I don't like IOS anymore)

Yawwwnnnn ..... so what else is new. Hopefully it will be faster than the conversion to PC for GTA-5!

I wonder how it is going to work on my wife's Lumia 830... the quality of this release will determine if I am gonna switch to WP from IOS. Fingers crossed it will work good (I don't like IOS anymore)

I have been running the insider preview on my 830 for a few months now with no problems at all. Runs better than 8.1 Denim did and all my apps from 8.1 continue to work perfectly. Cortana is smoother and the way the phone syncs with my Win 10 desktop is great. I also like the way I get a message on my desktop if I miss a call and I can send a text reply immediately to the caller. Great feature.

I had the w10 mobile preview on my 1520 and it crashed, meaning I lost all the pictures of my friends Bachelor party. As long as they release a working product I don't care how long it is delayed.

Your photos should have uploaded automatically to your One Drive account unless you have not configured that. In which case, you only have yourself to blame, not the phone.

Latest insider build works great on my Lumia 640 but the news coming out of Redmond lately isn't making me feel anymore comfortable about Win mobile's future.

Your photos should have uploaded automatically to your One Drive account unless you have not configured that. In which case, you only have yourself to blame, not the phone.
It's my fault that a faulty OS deleted my pictures? And I don't like auto uploading pictures to the email associated with my phone just incase my account is compromised.

It's my fault that a faulty OS deleted my pictures? And I don't like auto uploading pictures to the email associated with my phone just incase my account is compromised.
I take it your photo's aren't censored.

Back