Windows 10's Anniversary Update coming August 2

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has accidentally revealed the release date for its upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update through the Microsoft News Center, before swiftly removing the unfinished press release from view.

According to the post's title, the Anniversary Update will be available on August 2, just a few days after the one-year anniversary of Windows 10's launch. The rest of the announcement was missing, but considering the alleged date was published directly through Microsoft's in-house news service, it's probably pretty accurate.

Considering the Anniversary Update will most likely be available in a little over a month's time, Microsoft will sign off on the final version in the next few weeks. One of the candidates could be the latest Insider Preview release, build 14376, which became available today for PCs and phones packing mostly bug fixes and minor improvements.

The biggest new features coming to the Anniversary Update include a fully-fledged Ubuntu Bash shell for developers; revamped stylus integration; updates to Cortana, including the ability to view notifications from your phone; and support for extensions in Microsoft Edge.

Permalink to story.

Been running the preview for a while. Still absolutely no reason to sidegrade to this schizoid mess.

Yep, seems to me it's the only OS to get updates that make it worse over time. I had my small benchmarking system running windows 10 until they started doing ads in the start menu and locks screen. I don't pay good money on my OS and PCs for them to be turned into an advertising kiosk.

Been running the preview for a while. Still absolutely no reason to sidegrade to this schizoid mess.
Objectively, there are plenty of reasons to get Windows 10. Not to say that there aren't just as many (if not more) reasons not to as well.

Yep, seems to me it's the only OS to get updates that make it worse over time. I had my small benchmarking system running windows 10 until they started doing ads in the start menu and locks screen. I don't pay good money on my OS and PCs for them to be turned into an advertising kiosk.
I think it's perfectly reasonable for Microsoft to try how people react to ads in the menus. Sure, it's a terrible idea, and they learned that the hard way. Luckily it's easy to disable them, so that's not really a problem.

Windows 10 is far from perfect, but it's by no means the worst option for most users.

I don't get all the bashing -see what I did there?-, w10 is a perfectly good OS and in many ways better than it's predecessors, with updates you get minor improvements and bug fixes, my question now is why should you be excited over updates? Should you get new major features every other month?

And to the comment of adds, it's true you just click it and say "don't want to see this anymore" and voila, your whole rant became obsolete.

PS: I kind of liked the lockscreen pictures although it's probably not for everyone... and never-ever saw start menu adds.

Who paid for Windows 10???

Hmm.. lessee.. start windows, flip the lock screen up, nope, fail, lock screen 'falls back down', try again.

hysterical start to the Brave New experience..
(no mouse, no kb, touch only, just as Balmer promised-Forced)

Windows 10 is far from perfect, but it's by no means the worst option for most users.[/QUOTE]

Windows10 is not perfect: It is crapware - you pay for it and get ads too! Very deceitful of Micro$lop.

I recommend Ubuntu- FREE as is no money, works as in NO problems, does not give you ads and does not take your personal information.

BTW I always wonder how many people does Micro$lop employ to write positive reviews and feedbacks on websites....

Windows 10 is far from perfect, but it's by no means the worst option for most users.

Windows10 is not perfect: It is crapware - you pay for it and get ads too! Very deceitful of Micro$lop.

I recommend Ubuntu- FREE as is no money, works as in NO problems, does not give you ads and does not take your personal information.

BTW I always wonder how many people does Micro$lop employ to write positive reviews and feedbacks on websites....

I love when linux lovers bring paper to a gun fight... please do tell me how many average users you've installed ubuntu and are happy with it... first step for installing it, join a community, second step, worship google for answers, third step format and go back to windows.

Ubuntu or Linux in general is not meant for the average user, sorry to come between your ideals but it's the harsh truth. On W10 There are no adds, they just show you slides of pictures or apps you might like (I don't consider them adds like "buy this ****") and if you don't like it there is an easy option, they even ASK you if you like it, it's just bad marketing made worse by fanatics like you.

I'm not a Microsoft employee and I like it, hell I loved W8 to this day I don't understand all the hate to the metro ui, why is it so hard for you "open-source" freaks to understand?? Do you see me going to Linux forums or posting crap on Linux posts?? Newsflash: No I don't.

You guys are the communists, or the Jehovah witnesses of the operative systems, you like it good for you, now back to your open source world and leave us to be happy, you don't have to sell me your crap of how I need to switch OS because "the big corporations spy on everyone".

You know as an old retired person, having nothing else to do. I actually look forward to finding ads on my lock screen and start menu. I find nothing more fun than emailing companies that advertise that way to let them know that because of their wonderful partnership with Micro$oft, I will not be buying any of their products now and in the future, and if I already are a user of their product I will stop using them. Not only myself but I will recommend that all my friend and family also stop. Just enjoy letting them know that I for one don't like advertisements where they do not belong.
Now if you've gotten this far another thing to do if you like is you know all those little post paid ad cards that come in magazines and fall out all over when ever you get a new one? Just write "doing a great job!" on the address line and mail them all back. Same with all those envelopes aka junk mail, if it has a self addressed return envelope that requires no postage, just stuff it full of other junk mail and return it to them, just make sure nothing has your name or address on it first.

Back