Windows 11's latest feature will eliminate reboots for OS updates

emorphy

Staff
Something to look forward to: Already available in Xbox, hot patching would theoretically delight gamers – if it didn't require virtualization-based security to be turned on thus eroding performance. But many other Windows 11 users should be thrilled not to have to reboot every time there is a security update.

Microsoft is testing a method for Windows 11 users to apply security patches without having to reboot, according to Zac Bowden of Windows Central, who first spotted the change amid the minutiae of a Microsoft preview build and then spoke to further sources about the update. "Hot patching" works by patching the in-memory code of running processes without the need to restart the process.

Microsoft is already using hot patching on some Windows Server editions, including the non-Azure versions of Windows Server 2022, which might explain why Windows 11 is next on the list.

As Microsoft itself acknowledges, hot patching can reduce many IT headaches including reboot failures and coordinating multi-tier workloads. It also increases productivity by giving users more uptime on their PCs and enhances their security if they are delaying updates because of the hassles of downloading a patch. Let's face it, Patch Tuesday, Microsoft's scheduled security fix release on every second Tuesday of a month, can sometimes be a time suck.

Hot patching is also available on Xbox, which should theoretically delight gamers were it not for one hiccup. Microsoft is testing the new feature in the Windows 11 dev channel, but it is only doing so on Windows Insiders' machines that have VBS enabled. Hot patching might require enabling virtualization-based security, which gamers might have disabled to boost performance.

Also, according to Bowden's sources, the change won't entirely eliminate reboots. They still will be periodically required, maybe as often as every few months, for more comprehensive updates. Hot patching is typically delivered as small code changes, which is how they are able to integrate into the running system.

The new feature will be part of Windows 11 24H2, which is expected to arrive later this year, although it is unclear if hot patching will be available to all Windows 11 users, or just be limited to Windows 11 commercial editions such as Enterprise, Education, and Windows 365.

Windows 11 24H2 is the next major Windows update set to arrive later this year, making it highly unlikely that Microsoft will release "Windows 12" in the second half of 2024. Besides the hot patching feature, rumors say that Windows 11 24H2 will have numerous AI features including an advanced Copilot that will work in the background.

Permalink to story.

I never understood people who don't turn their PC off at when they're not going to use it for a few hours.
On my Mac I leave it on 24/7 - only gets rebooted when needed by an update. Same for Windows, they both go into power safe mode, monitors go to sleep, total power drain is 10 watts. I also run nightly backups which need it on, and even have VM's running 24/7. There's no real reason to switch it off unless power (wear & tear) was a concern; in fact switching a PC on/off every day can shorten the lifespan off a computer.

I personally get no benefit from this feature maybe because my PC is primarily for gaming and browsing. I've never had my PC force a restart in the middle of me doing something in my life.
It's huge for laptops. I just can't stop it from rebooting unless I turn it off. Even hibernate doesn't help. If I put it to sleep it just wakes up and never turns off. I almost fried a laptop in my backpack this way because of the heat. If they can't fix the broken windows sleep implementation then they should at least help with the updates.

Updates without the need to restart windows or applications is huge.

Rebooting is the least of my concerns. It’s how long each of these updates take that is the bigger problem. And Microsoft forces you to upgrade, and so you will be forced to sit through very long updates. The updates are quite frequent, and unfortunately, have a consistent problem of breaking features after the long wait. I understand this feature will be beneficial for servers.

On my Mac I leave it on 24/7 - only gets rebooted when needed by an update. Same for Windows, they both go into power safe mode, monitors go to sleep, total power drain is 10 watts. I also run nightly backups which need it on, and even have VM's running 24/7. There's no real reason to switch it off unless power (wear & tear) was a concern; in fact switching a PC on/off every day can shorten the lifespan off a computer.
LOL turning a PC off doesnt shorten its lifespan! That's some Grade A misinformation.

What DOES shorten a PC's lifespan, and what you are confused about, is thermal cycling. Heating up and cooling off rapidly places strain on solder joints, over time this can cause a crack which causes hardware failure. But letting your computer go to sleep is just as bad in that regard as turning the PC off.

Last edited:
It's huge for laptops. I just can't stop it from rebooting unless I turn it off. Even hibernate doesn't help. If I put it to sleep it just wakes up and never turns off. I almost fried a laptop in my backpack this way because of the heat. If they can't fix the broken windows sleep implementation then they should at least help with the updates.

Updates without the need to restart windows or applications is huge.

Modern Standby (sleep) has been borked on laptops for years now..

LOL turning a PC off doesnt shorten its lifespan! That's some Grade A misinformation.

What DOES shorten a PC's lifespan, and what you are confused about, is thermal cycling. Heating up and cooling off rapidly places strain on solder joints, over time this can cause a crack which causes hardware failure. But letting your computer go to sleep is just as bad in that regard as turning the PC off.

I laughed..

Thats some 1990s conspiracy theory right there. Its also 100% false about turning your computer on/off shortens the lifespan. Wow, I cant believe folks still believe this.

I personally get no benefit from this feature maybe because my PC is primarily for gaming and browsing. I've never had my PC force a restart in the middle of me doing something in my life.

its a pretty big deal for corporations who use MS products. As someone who has worked in support for 20+ years, the amount of folks that get caught in a reboot while presenting is mind boggling and they always complain up the food chain despite having a message saying they need to reboot for 3 days.

Restarts don't take that long on most modern systems with ssd's, quality updates are a 5 min process and feature updates are only once a year. They are set to do it in downtime automatically.

Back