Windows 2003 DNS server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple servers that we use for DNS. I am trying to get them setup "the right way."

We have almost 900 .com domains I want these two servers to run for us.
We also have a straight fiber connection for us to use for internet.

Question 1) For a dual cpu 2.8ghz Dell 2650 w/ 3gigs of ram, how many domains would you put on a single dns server? All 900?

2) When you setup a secondary DNS server to accept zone transfers from the primary, does that mean that you can enter new zones into the primary and it will auto create them onto the secondary for you? Or do I have to go onto the primary and create the new zone and then go onto the secondary and create the new zone manually myself?

Thanks guys. I really need to find someone who is an expert in MS 2003 DNS Servers that I can just sit down and chat with cause this is a whole new book for me.

The answers require way too long a response for this forum. We recommend you obtain copies of

Windows Server 2003: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guide) by Martin S Matthews (Paperback - April 11, 2003)

and

Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003 Inside Out by William R. Stanek (Paperback - Jul 7, 2004)

Or similar books, or Windows Service 2003 knowledgebase articles at www.micrpspft/com.

Otherwise, you need an expensive Network consultant. They start in most locals at $85 an hour and sometimes $135 an hour. They have spent a great deal of time hands on getting to a point where they can advise you.

I'll try to find those books but the questions are not that hard for any experienced user to answer. The first question is opinionated and the second question is pretty much a yes or no answer. I dont want to have to re-create all the zones a 2nd time into the secondary server, especially if it will retrieve them from the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back