Windows 7 32 or 64-bit?

Hey guys,
Vista is giving me the sh!ts. So I am taking it to the local computer shop to update to Windows 7.
I have a few questions.
1) Is it as hungry on RAM as Vista is?
2) Dumbed down as much as possible...what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit?
3) Which one should I get as per my system specifications?

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz 5-5-5-15
I am also getting another 2GB of RAM put into it
Motherboard
Intel Corporation D945GCNL (LGA 775)
Graphics
LCD-MONITOR @ 1680x1050
1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (ZOTAC International)
Hard Drives
312.57GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJS-00VWA0 ATA Device (IDE)
I have an external 1.5 TB hard drive for personal use...so there (hopefully) won't be alot on the computer itself

To be honest what I have seen of Windows 7, it looks VERY nice.

All help is appreciated,

Wongy

Well you have enough for C: drive, I would get 500GB for E: drive so you can use for storage. It's optional though. Dual core will run well. 4GB will help you though. Other than that I don't see any real issues.

Does your CPU do 64-bit? If not then 32-bit will only use 4GB of RAM. 64-bit uses more but 4GB is good enough for now. Windows 7 does look good doesn't it. Much better than Vista was though.

Yes it can run 64 bit.

If not then 32-bit will only use 4GB of RAM. 64-bit uses more but 4GB is good enough for now.

Does this mean it will be laggy? I don't think I will be running too many programs at once. Maybe MSN, Mozilla and a game. But that's it really.
Will I have any RAM issues?

No it won't unless the HDD is slow though? How fast is the HDD in RPMs and the size of the Cache. You could always go online and get a larger GB HDD which are usually faster.

No RAM issues if you use 4GB of RAM not the 2GB. Make sure any video shares are disable if the video card has it's own RAM. You need 128MB as the min but I would recommend 256MB for Windows 7.

32bit

If you get 32bit, you can do an in place upgrade, meaning you can retain all your programs, files, and settings when the upgrade commences.

Just to add to the answers above. These are the system requirements. Some of your current components, however, may not be compatible. Especially certain drivers. Most can be updated though. If you really want to know what all will and will not work download the Windows 7 Compatibility tool. It will scan your computer and tell you exactly what will and will not work with 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

*1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

*1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

*16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

*DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Hey guys,
Vista is giving me the sh!ts. So I am taking it to the local computer shop to update to Windows 7.
Personally, I'm very leery of the upgrade path to the newer OS. I would spring for an OEM copy of Win 7 and go with that. (If that in fact, is what you're actually saying).
I have a few questions.
1) Is it as hungry on RAM as Vista is?
Probably not.
2) Dumbed down as much as possible...what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit?
Basically, instructions are fed the CPU in a 64 bit parallel"bandwidth" as opposed it 32.
3) Which one should I get as per my system specifications?
64 bit of course. The 32 bit OS is on the way out, might as well get with the program. Besides, 64 bit Windows installs 32 bit programs into an "x86 (32 bit) folder anyway, so there's not a problem with older software.

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology[/QUOTE] Intel likes to call these "Allendale" rather than "Conroe". Not sure what's inside.
RAM
2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz 5-5-5-15
OK, this is DDR2 667Mhz. The clock runs at half the effective speed of the memory. (And it's running just an itsy bitsy, teensy weensy bit slow. The E4600 has a FSB speed of 800Mhz so you could bump the RAM speed up to that, at least if you're willing to spring for a new 4GB set (2 X 2GB kit)

All help is appreciated,

Wongy
Your E4600 is 64 bit capable, as is your board. No problems.

The issue of 4GB of RAM in a 32 bit OS system is this, only about 3GB would be usable.
You can put as much in as you like, but 3+ GB is all you'll ever see as "available" The 64 bit OS would be able to address all 4 GB, which is plenty for most users.

Your HDD is sufficient, but is it really an "ATA" device? Intel 945 provides 4 >> SATA << ports. So is the drive connected with a wide "ribbon cable", or the narrow SATA style?
Does your CPU do 64-bit? If not then 32-bit will only use 4GB of RAM. 64-bit uses more but 4GB is good enough for now.
ALL Intel CPUs since "Cedar Mill" (P-4 & Celeron) carry the "EMT" designation which means they're 64 bit. In fact, they won't even run in a 32 bit board.

Back