Windows 7 and XP Dual Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am dual booting XP with Windows 7, and it is installed correctly. However, I wanted to stop the boot manager from loading every time I started the computer, so through 7 I turned it off via the advanced system settings. Now, I cannot access the boot manager even when using the keyboard shortcuts, and therefore cannot access my installation of Windows 7. What can I do?

Run "msconfig", click on the "Boot" tab, select the Windows 7 and click "Set as default", which on restart should boot you into Windows 7.

My XP installation does not recognize my Windows 7 installation, nor is there an entry for it in my boot file or in msconfig. I'm on SP3 if it matters. Here's my boot file.
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=6
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /KERNEL=KERNEL1.EXE
I also have another question that I'll just post now rather than later. Once we get this problem fixed and I am able to access my Windows 7 installation again, how can I make it so that Windows Boot Manager does not show up at all at startup, but I have to access it by pressing a key (probably F8)? I want it to automatically load XP unless I press the key to open Windows Boot Manager and run Windows 7.

Thanks!

eh, I just switched to my Razer Arctosa keyboard, and it doesn't turn on or something in time for my bootloader!

Repeatedly pushing numlock scroolock and capslock produces no light until i get into windows XP.

Strangly i can get into the bios, though my keyboard lights still are not on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back