Windows 7 BSOD

measel

I have been getting BSOD for completely no reasons all the time. The common one is bad pool header and memory management. I have ran memtest86 with 8 passes and it was fine but I have heard if memtest86 passed, it can be the motherboard. and the CPU is fine as I know if CPU is bad, it wouldn't boot. It does boot for me every time. And I tried different video card, Still same thing. Tried fresh format-installed windows 7, still getting BSODs. I have sent the RAMs in for warranty replacement and plan to order the new motherboard. But would like somebody to shed some lights on the minidump as I can't read them.

Thanks in advance!

J.Measel

Attachments

• dumpfiles.zip
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
Your first minidump came up with 0x3B, citing System_Service_Exception error with wmiprvse.exe (i.e. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which is a component of the Windows operating system that provides management information and control in an enterprise environment). This service is also linked with ICS (windows firewall). It is also linked with Windows Update. At this moment I am unsure what caused it really. However, there is another dimension to this, i.e. there is a Virus/Malware (W32/Sonebot-B) which copies itself on the windows machine as wmiprvse.exe. So, it would be prudent to check your system with AV/Malware removal tools. Better yet, follow these 8-steps, and post your logs for analysis on Malware and Virus Removal Forums.

Your second minidump came up with 0x1A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. This may mean that your RAM is plainly bad. You can check this with memtest. Let it run for 8 passes at least.

0x1A error with Memory Management error will also happen when under full load the system need to push power to the certain elements of the PC one of these elements is the HDD and the other is the RAM. Depending upon what you were using at the time of BSOD, as the power requirements of these components under full load went up, the PSU may not have been able to provide the required power, hence the crash.

Can you please give us complete system specifications along with your PSU type/model/wattage etc. Regards

Thank you for the reply.

My specs are below:

Intel Quad 2 Core 2.5ghz - 95 watts socket 775
Asus P5QL Pro Motherboard
PSU: Antec TruPower 650 Watts
XFX Radeon 5850 1GB Video Card on Dell 2408WFP LCD
4GB Crucial Ballstix DDR2 800
Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD
LG Sata DVDRW

The BSOD happens very randomly. Sometime it happens while I'm browsing the internet. Sometime it happens when I view a video on internet. Sometime it happens during the idle (being on overnight and not used and occurs matters of minutes before I wake the LCD up.

History of machine:
I replaced the motherboard from Gigabyte to this Asus as I kept getting BSOD. BSOD went away. But was experiencing problems with LCD (already known problem with 2408WFP), Replaced the video card. Problem with LCD went away. Then BSOD started few months later for no reason. My BIOS setting is all default. No overclocking. But the motherboard gave the RAM wrong setting of 5-5-5-20 and 1.8 volts. I corrected it to 4-4-4-16 with 2.0Volt as labeled on the RAMs. BSOD still persist. That's everything I can think of. Hope this helps!

Thanks again.

Regards,
J.Measel

Asus boards are very sensitive about the RAM one may place on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issue turns out to be just 'RAM Settings in Bios'.

What is the make/model/wattage of your PSU?

Can you please post your minidumps for analysis? You can find them in C:\windows\minidump. If there are multiple files simply zip them in a single file and attach with your next post. Regards

Also, I did left the BIOS at default setting for RAM and my custom setting to meet RAM's specs, Still BSOD regardless. And memtest86 passed with 8 passes, ZERO errors. My guess is RAM could be bad that memtest86 doesnt pick it up or it could be the motherboard ram slot being bad.

I meant 'newer' ones if you have more BSODs, sorry I wasn't clear about my message.

I suspect its more of settings/voltage issue, I'll refer your thread to a friend who is brilliantly knowledgeable about such issues. Regards

No problem.. I'm still on the same PSU.

Irony thing is that when I tried a different motherboard, it showed the specs of RAM correctly while Asus didn't. Looks like its the motherboard. So, I'm going to do "two bird one stone" and have ram being warranty replaced and get new motherboard. That should solve the problem. Is Gigabyte known to be flexible with RAMs? Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L is what I have in mind for the new motherboard.

As I said earlier, I've already messaged a friend about your issue, at this moment I think there may be no issue with either your RAM or motherboard, but simply RAM is not correctly being configured on that board. It is very early in the part of world where he lives, but he would be able to have a look at your thread in few hours time (I hope).

In the meanwhile you can do one thing, i.e. check Asus's site for your QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for your motherboard, it will give you idea whether your RAM is listed in it or not.

My suggestion is to hold on for a while about getting new motherboard/RAM, and try to fix this issue first. Regards

QVL showed my rams not listed. No Crucial listed all over the QVL. But Crucial told me that the RAM is fully qualified. I'll wait for the response from your brilliant friend. :)

What Ballistix modules do you have? I cant think of any offhand that have timings of 4-4-4-16. Those are pretty sloppy timings for an enthusiast kit.
The main part number should read either "BL12864" (single module) or "BL25664" (dual kit) then "AA80A" or "AL804" (or similar). The last part of the number (after the full stop) is probably more important, it should read "8" (single sided) or "16" (double sided) followed by two letters and a number (i.e. FD3, FE5, FH5).
The reason I ask is that while the Crucial kit has not changed visibly since it was intoduced, it has changed memory chips quite frequently-and some are more reliable (and overclocker friendly) than others. Once you have found the part number, can you also list all the timings, or post a screenshot using the MemSet program. Here is a screenshot (post #2) I posted from an earlier thread (also Crucial Ballistix) as example-remember to expand for both Channel A and B (These settings show what timings you are actually running) . Also include a screen of CPU-Z's SPD tab (the table on the right hand side). I'd just like to make sure that the boards BIOS is correctly reading the timings -most importantly the Performance level (also called tRD or Static Read Value). Since MemSet reads some values differently than memory profiles shown in CPU-Z do not try to adjust any settings to match the profile. Changing any values in MemSet overrides and changes the BIOS settings instantly.
Once we can be assured that the timings are correct for profile and BIOS, and assuming the RAM passes Memtest86+ (I would test each stick individually) then the next step would be to check your BIOS voltages (MCH/Northbridge in particular), but one step at a time.

batch number: CL1119S.8K
part number: BL25664AA80A.16FE5

That is what i have. I just checked again from my emails, My apologies. it is 4-4-4-12.

The "bad" rams are currently in transit to Crucial for replacement.

Sure, Will do. But I'm little hesistated to put the new RAMs on the same motherboard. Can it damage the new RAM?

Only excessive voltage will do that.
While the RAM is out I would clear CMOS and when you get the replacement RAM, boot straight into the BIOS and check the settings. The board should set the RAM at 1.8v, which is the standard (JEDEC) specification. I'm not sure about how your board will set the profile, but it will likely be JEDEC #0 or #1 (from the screenshot I linked to in my first post). If you are going to set the timing at 4-4-4-12 then you must increase the DRAM voltage to 2.0v -this is the RAM's rated spec which the modules will handle easily.

Back