Windows 7 Family Pack to be yanked December 31?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to an Amazon product page, Microsoft's Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack will only be available until Friday, December 31. The $125 bundle (down from $150) includes three Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade licenses -- that's less than $42 each, undoubtedly the best value for consumers to upgrade from Windows XP or Vista. By comparison, a single Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade license costs $110 on Amazon, while a full retail copy is $177.

Microsoft launched the Windows 7 Family Pack last October, but supplies ran out less than two months later in early December. Redmond revived the special offer this September, just in time for back-to-school and holiday shopping, but the company didn't say how long it would be available.

With Windows 8 on track for a 2012 release, we're not sure if Microsoft will offer the Windows 7 Family Pack again toward the end of 2011. If you have a few friends or family members running a pre-Windows 7 operating system, be sure to should take advantage of the bundle before it's gone.

Permalink to story.

Wow, the digital crops must have failed this year leaving us with a world wide shortage of DVDs!
Out of stock my foot. Just another typically lame unimaginative Microsoft marketing tactic.

Hurry up everybody while supplies last!

Why bother? Windows 8 will be out in a year. I'm sure the many still running XP will have no qualms about holding out till then.

XP is still the best. Getting\setting Network stuff post-XP is a pain in the bummerinsky - what a mess. And reliable low latency audio is nigh impossible. Trading functional for surface gloss is not in my Book of Smarts.

It's scary to think that my >9 year old XP OS can do pretty much everything faster, lighter and better than what MS has put out since. I can even make it look prettier with a bit of spit and polish.

Only thing it's missing is uhh....umm....can't think of a single thing. Oh wait, 64-bit support for more than 3GB usable memory. Oh wait, I forgot. I RARELY need more memory than that and VM makes up for it in the those precious few moments that I do.

I can think of two big ones;
Windows 7 does some stuff well. Nothing comes to mind right now, but I'm sure there's something...
Windows 7 has made the 64 bit computing environment a practical reality for the PC. It has also simplified achieving true AHCI HDD operation, without the aggravation of a driver hunt and a floppy drive.

xp will hold out for sometime, most games and softwares are layout in 64-bit versions. im also aware of that detected memory capacity issue.

Yea wow thanks for locking it down to US shipments only, f-ing tools. Why can US customers get it at 125$ and Canada has to pay 292.60$, really last I checked the exchange wasn't THAT bad.

Honestly a really big fat F U Microsoft.

Back