Windows 8 loses market share for the first time... sort of

Shawn Knight

Staff member

current windows microsoft windows operating system market share

The month of October was an interesting one for Microsoft as Windows 8 lost market share for the first time since launching a year ago – technically speaking. The decline came as a result of users upgrading to Windows 8.1 in addition to customers purchasing new PCs according to the latest report from Net Applications.

Data shows Windows 8’s market share dropped from 8.02 percent to 7.53 percent (0.49 percent). Meanwhile, Windows 8.1 adoption jumped from 0.87 percent to 1.72 percent, good for an increase of 0.85 percent. That’s pretty solid when you consider Windows 8.1 wasn’t released until the middle of the month.

Elsewhere, Windows 7 pretty much held steady with an increase of just 0.03 percent (from 46.39 percent to 46.42 percent). Interestingly enough, it’s the first time that Windows 7 has gained more share than Windows 8. Windows Vista finished the month with 3.63 percent market share, Windows XP closed with 31.24 percent while all other versions of Windows accounted for 1.84 percent.

Gazing at the bigger picture, Windows operating systems were responsible for 90.66 percent of the market, Mac finished at 7.73 percent and Linux held 1.61 percent.

Looking ahead, we will likely get a much better impression of market share during the month of November as operating systems like Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks will have a complete month of stats under their belt.

Do you think Windows 8.1 will be adopted at a faster rate this holiday season compared to Windows 8 last year?

Permalink to story.

Yes. But only because there's a free upgrade from 8 and some may have held off a year buying new laptops or tablets.

"Do you think Windows 8.1 will be adopted at a faster rate this holiday season compared to Windows 8 last year?"

Only by the chimpanzees who are already running Windows 8 in a rush to polish the turd just a little bit more. People who are running other Windows OS probably have no intention of adopting Microsofts latest redheaded stepchild. I know I don't.

"Do you think Windows 8.1 will be adopted at a faster rate this holiday season compared to Windows 8 last year?"

There's at least one good reason to buy it now, and that's with the Bay Trail tablets. I'm going to buy one, and I guess I'll be added to the stats. Apparently 8.1 also improves the experience of Clover Trail tablets quite a bit, but I'd imagine that's a much smaller market than Bay Trail tablets will have once they start shipping in quantities.

By the way last month I upgraded my sister to a new PC running Vista Home Basic (had an old spare copy), so she won't stay with XP which is going to be unsupported soon.

This is like saying XP lost market share while XP Sp3 gained. Or OSX Mountain lion lost and Mavericks gained.

My father bought a laptop this weekend with 8.1. Just terrible. I can only imagine what a disaster 8 was. took me 3 hours to get it to a point where its more like windows 7 instead of 8. with a regular desktop, no ms apps, no metro, no crap.

MS should be held for crimes against humanity with windows 8.

Windows 8.1 will be adopted faster this holiday season, but the reasons for it have nothing to do with the operating system itself. New Surface tablets have arrived, and a wide variety of manufacturers are dropping new tablets and laptops based on the newest Intel processors, which many have been waiting for. Windows 8.1 comes on every new product, and finding any retail store that has any versions of a computer available with less than Windows 8 is virtually impossible (which will likely stack up as an 8.1 adoption since the upgrade is free).

It's like watching the adoption rates of Windows Vista in the past - the numbers grew substantially, but only because there was no choice in the matter.

MS should be held for crimes against humanity with windows 8.
Maybe not against humanity but maybe for the cold blooded murder of an OS. xp
C'mon it's not that bad for touchscreen devices but not that hot for a serious computing device with keyboard & mouse.

Definitely. Many companies hold off upgrades till the first service pack, which Windows 8.1 effectively is.

Windows 8.1 + boot directly to desktop + Startisback = Buh bye Windows 7.

I find this odd, why are they separating Windows 8 and 8.1...To me this makes no sense in the charts because its like separating Windows 7 and windows 7 service pack 1 or the likes.

^LOL@techies still complaining about W8.1. I could understand if it were moms and dads that were complaining because they will go by what the loud techies are saying, but to see the same techies still whining about the UI is insane. For a mere $3, you could have your start menu back, then introduced with 8.1, you can set the OS to boot directly to desktop and you're golden. No more Metro UI... ever. The complainers must either be really old and lazy, they hate change (see also: old), or you're really poor, because from a techie standpoint, there is NO reason to keep putting it off.

You people are becoming, if not already, more annoying than the Metro UI itself. Now if only I could pay $3 to shut you up, we could actually talk about the OS and what improvements were made since W7. You know, actual tech talk.

^LOL@techies still complaining about W8.1. I could understand if it were moms and dads that were complaining because they will go by what the loud techies are saying, but to see the same techies still whining about the UI is insane. For a mere $3, you could have your start menu back, then introduced with 8.1, you can set the OS to boot directly to desktop and you're golden. No more Metro UI... ever. The complainers must either be really old and lazy, they hate change (see also: old), or you're really poor, because from a techie standpoint, there is NO reason to keep putting it off.

You people are becoming, if not already, more annoying than the Metro UI itself. Now if only I could pay $3 to shut you up, we could actually talk about the OS and what improvements were made since W7. You know, actual tech talk.

The ole 'People hate change' argument? LOL. Seriously? That's all you got? LOL. Yes, you figured us all out. We hate change.

If I were concerned about annoying people with my complaints against Windows 8 I would stop complaining. Good thing that's not on my list of priorities. You couldn't pay me a $100.00 to stop complaining. I can't even tell you what you should do with your $3 offer. I had a chance to get a Windows 8 product key for free and passed it up.
I'll bet your the type of young fellow who goes to a bar on the weekend and tries to pick up the fat lady with a good heart versus the beautiful shallow blonde, am I right?

I don't even wanna start talking about under-the-hood improvements when I can't even stand to look at the fat lady, I.e., Windows 8.

It's funny you say that we 'people' are becoming annoying. I've been trying my best to be annoying even before Windows 8 was released. If my posts ever start to be anything but annoying....please let me know so I can ramp up my annoyance factor. Don't really have any intentions of stopping until I get what I want as a consumer that made Microsoft a multi-billion-dollar corporation. I am the customer. You don't make what I want, you don't get my business. Microsoft gave me the finger and now I am giving it back.

I don't want appeasements for desktop users. I want the desktop version of Windows 8 to be made for desktops. And it should be made, first and foremost, for desktops, or get it off the desktop.

<wall of text>

But the Windows My First Computer touchscreen tiled stuff is the future because soon everybody will have touchscreen monitors because the best way to improve productivity is to have a monitor covered in streaks and oily fingerstains because it's the future.
That and we desperately need our operating system linked directly to our email account and our xbox account, with its schizophrenic indecisiveness, unable to decide whether it's Metro or Windows, all the while guaranteeing a half hour search for something that was a few clicks away on previous renditions.

Listening to all these Windows 8 lovers is like listening to Sega Dreamcast users, going into a violent state of denial that they've bet their money on the wrong horse, hoping against all hope that the power of whining alone can alter the very fabric of reality and make Windows 8 not cack.

I disagree. They have ALWAYS been much more annoying than any changes made to W8 itself.
I have always attributed it to nerd rage, others an inflated sense of self importance and some downright entitlement. If it isn't just how they want it they will rip on it and anyone who dares buy it.

Still though, my favorite will always be "its a tablet OS on a desktop".

Dave

The new handle-less hammer version that finally allows attaching a handle has seen and increase in adoption. It has been adopted by a warm-hearted fat lady, who also adopted a blind bold cat and a pig with diarrhoea. As well known experts say, it is well known that only old, poor, gay and mac techies don't like the idea of a hammer without a handle. For some old, poor, gay and mac reasons they use hammers to hammer in nails. They just do not understand that the new hammer without a handle is the future, and can't live with it, so they need to get a life, until they understand that they buy hammers not to use them, but to pay to their sellers.

I disagree. They have ALWAYS been much more annoying than any changes made to W8 itself.
I have always attributed it to nerd rage, others an inflated sense of self importance and some downright entitlement. If it isn't just how they want it they will rip on it and anyone who dares buy it.

Dave

Umm, I hate to tell you this big brother but, Windows 7 Users *currently* outnumber your *** by a ridiculous percentage. Right now, right this moment in time, I am part of the masses, not the rebel your trying to be.
It's Microsoft's game to lose. I don't give a frogs fat *** either in the scheme of life whether they choose to accept my offer of releasing a desktop oriented operating system in their next major Windows release or not. But I have no intentions of financing projects like Windows 8 and encouraging this kind of ridiculous behavior.

Your the one who has an inflated sense of self by proclaiming yourself as an 'embracer of change'. By proclaiming, "Hey everybody, jump in the waters great, trust me." So I say, "Onward Rebel". Keep fighting the good fight.

I like living in a 46% of the entire ****ng populace that uses Windows 7 'gang'. At least when it comes to Windows 7 anyway. :)

It should be, because it is true. The main goal to Windows 8 was to increase functionality on the tablet, and by doing so decreased functionality as we knew it for desktop. Thats alright though, I don't have to continue sending my money to Microsoft. I think I am finished ranting about MS, I will simply look for other solutions. At least with free solutions you don't feel at loss when **** is removed.

Umm, I hate to tell you this big brother but, Windows 7 Users *currently* outnumber your *** by a ridiculous percentage. Right now, right this moment in time, I am part of the masses, not the rebel your trying to be.
It's Microsoft's game to lose. I don't give a frogs fat *** either in the scheme of life whether they choose to accept my offer of releasing a desktop oriented operating system in their next major Windows release or not. But I have no intentions of financing projects like Windows 8 and encouraging this kind of ridiculous behavior.
Your the one who has an inflated sense of self by proclaiming yourself as an 'embracer of change'. By proclaiming, "Hey everybody, jump in the waters great, trust me." So I say, "Onward Rebel". Keep fighting the good fight.
I like living in a 46% of the entire ****ng populace that uses Windows 7 'gang'. At least when it comes to Windows 7 anyway.
prekesh-happy.png

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but....

...Awwww, is that how you cry yourself to sleep at night, rocking back and forth, scared of how the big bad windows 8 is creeping to ever more popular heights by the day? That one day, you will find yourself on the opposite side of that number you cling to so desperately?

Well anyhow, feel free to respond, but I know pretty much how you will react, I've seen enough of your Microsoft bashing drivel to know what's coming. Microsoft, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Cant please everyone it seems, especially some of these ranting, immature and childish denizens of Tehspot who seem to want to force their biased outspoken opinion down anyone's throat that stops to read an article.

denizens of Tehspot who seem to want to force their biased outspoken opinion down anyone's throat that stops to read an article.
If reading the article was all you wanted to read, you never would have known about the following comments. I'm not going to degrade you for liking Windows 8, so please stop degrading me for when I say I don't.
In other words, you are the troll.

If reading the article was all you wanted to read, you never would have known about the following comments. I'm not going to degrade you for liking Windows 8, so please stop degrading me for when I say I don't.

I wasn't referring to you, at least you keep a civil tongue in your head. No, I was ultimately referring to the Clown. I have no objection to a well placed argument and I do respect others opinions, but when verbal garbage spews forth, that's what I don't like, so by all means debate your opinion, but never forget that is exactly that, an opinion and it is yours, and yours alone.

You are certainly entitled to think that if you so wish...

It should be, because it is true. The main goal to Windows 8 was to increase functionality on the tablet, and by doing so decreased functionality as we knew it for desktop. Thats alright though, I don't have to continue sending my money to Microsoft. I think I am finished ranting about MS, I will simply look for other solutions. At least with free solutions you don't feel at loss when **** is removed.

No sir, you are wrong. Its a desktop OS on a tablet.

Dave

I wasn't referring to you, at least you keep a civil tongue in your head. No, I was ultimately referring to the Clown. I have no objection to a well placed argument and I do respect others opinions, but when verbal garbage spews forth, that's what I don't like, so by all means debate your opinion, but never forget that is exactly that, an opinion and it is yours, and yours alone.

You are certainly entitled to think that if you so wish...

That is actually the Clowns style. I cant even count how many times I have read his posts and pictured a pouting 6 year old girl with huge tears running down her cheek.

Look at his response to me. Why would anyone in their right mind care about how many people use a certain product? Especially since the latest one has only been out a short time.

But, so it goes.

Dave

...Awwww, is that how you cry yourself to sleep at night, rocking back and forth, scared of how the big bad windows 8 is creeping to ever more popular heights by the day? That one day, you will find yourself on the opposite side of that number you cling to so desperately?

Well anyhow, feel free to respond, but I know pretty much how you will react, I've seen enough of your Microsoft bashing drivel to know what's coming. Microsoft, damned if they do, damned if they don't. Cant please everyone it seems, especially some of these ranting, immature and childish denizens of Tehspot who seem to want to force their biased outspoken opinion down anyone's throat that stops to read an article.

Big bad Windows 8? LOL. That's funny. Are you a stand-up comedian? How about just 'bad windows 8'? I would love to see Windows 8 reach 46% of the market share of desktops. I'll bet it never happens. Half the world will simply wait until the next major release to make any decisions I am sure. Which is where I am at.

If your so happy with Windows 8 why do you feel the need to defend it? Go swipe your way to nirvana, like the chimpanzee that you are. LOL. Okay, that's just a lil joke of mine not to be taken (too) seriously. :)

Windows 8 pisses me off. I got a reason to *****. Why are the Windows 8 users who are living in nirvana bitching all the time. They should be happy. They got exactly what they wanted.

Back