Windows 98 networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a problem, I think with the TCP/IP configuration, on a Windows 98SE PC. Today I set up a wireless gateway and put wireless USB adapters on 2 PCs. Once PC is running Windows XP, and it is working fine --- accessing the Internet, etc. However, the Windows 98 machine is having problems accessing the Internet and mail server --- anything going through the gateway.

Both the Internet Explorer (encountered an error and needs to close) and Netscape (illegal operation) browsers crash right when I first start them, so that`s why I suspect the TCP/IP or related settings.

Perviously I connected to another DSL model via Ethernet from this PC. I have since uninstalled the Ethernet drivers and card. I installed the wireless drivers and USB adapter. The PC can see the wireless gateway, because it shows that and the signal strength. I just can`t use the connection with a browser.

Thanks, Alan

Easy way is to get yourself a wifi router and plug that in between your DSL modem and the 1st pc... then just run Home Network wizard on Windows 98 to connect to a gateway device to access the i.net.

Otherwise, if you do feel like tinkering...
-Set both Wifi adaptors to Ad-Hoc mode, without the encryption for now.
-Set the wifi adaptor's TCP/IP on the PC connected to the DSL modem to 192.168.0.1
-Set the wifi on the other PC to 192.168.0.2 and all should be good.

If that fails, run the network wizards on both machines, using the winxp's wizard and puting it on a disk..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back