Windows BSOD - Can't load CD/DVD from BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today my laptop was working fine, I turned it off (Shutdown) and I turned it back on later today. When I turned it on right before the Windows login screen I get the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disbale components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000ED (0x82327E30, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So kind of scared I restarted my computer and recieved the same message.

I read on the forums that if I have my OS install disk I can run a check on the system to see if there is errors or I can fix missing files. I got my install disk and hit F2 to enter SETUP. I did not have an option in my BIOS to diable Caching or Shadowing (At least I didn't see one). I tried to boot my CD/DVD drive however it simply won't load. This caused me concern as I won't be able to install anything even if I did not wan't to loose my files.

If anyone has a workaround or fix for this I would greatly appreciate it (Alot).

I also heard that changing the order of my startup so that my CD/DVD drive boots first instead of my HDD could work however I do not see an option to do this.

My OS is "Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition"
It is a "TOSHIBA EQUIUM M50" with 512MB RAM"

HELP!

I also forgot to mention I have been recieving this message ever since I purchased my laptop 2 years ago. It happens right before windows starts up however it has never been a problem before but worth mentioning.

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK4032GAXA

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK4032GAXA

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

I'd say back up your data immediately (2 years ago!)

You can connect the removed laptop harddrive to a Desktop computer as slave using an adaptor:

Then once fully backed up, purchase a new Hard Drive, and re-install Windows (and everything else)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back