Windows ME upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I supplied a pc to someone with Win 98 SE loaded on it and they decided to upgrade it to ME. The installation failed during the file copy process and now they want me to delete the copied files if possible.
I have trawled through the MS support pages and can find nothing appropriate, does anyone know which directory the files will be in or even if it is possible to delete them in the first place.
Sorry its a bit vague but its all the info I was given, I think its a case of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.
Thanks in advance :)

Unless you have an image of the Win98 state before the upgrade, you are out of luck. You could try to restart the upgrade, but chances are the same will happen again.
Your best bet would be to delete the "windows" or "win98" or whatever it is called directory, and then do the upgrade. If needed, keep the Win98 CD at hand as well.
Better is to upgrade from W98 to Windows 2000 Pro (cannot be done from ME to W2k, as ME came after W2K).

Best of all would be a clean install of whatever OS you decide upon.

WinME install can detect a failed setup, and attempt to repair it. Run WinME setup again, see what it says.

Some people have horror stories with WinME, others have it fine.. really XP is better than ME in the long run, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back