Windows Media Player 11 will not burn music on blank DVD-R

I purchased a refurbished HP DC7700 Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz with a DVD+-RW drive. I am able to write music to a blank DVD-R using ImgBurn, but Windows Media Player 9 and 11 will only write to a blank CD-R (It will playback the DVD-R that I create on ImgBurn). The DVD Device is HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GH15L. The Operating System is XP Pro. I had to purchase a DVD Decoder from Roxio in order to play a DVD movie in Windows Media Player. Is there something else that I need to purchase to write music on a blank DVD-R? Or is there some setting that needs to be changed?

Someone suggested that WMP11 does not write to DVD-Rs, but I have WMP11 on a PC with Vista and it writes to a blank DVD-R with no problem. I wrote to the DVD-R on the Vista PC and I was able to read it on the XP Pro PC, I just cannot write it on the XP Pro. According to Microsoft, WMP11 is supposed to write an audio file to a Data Disk.

1. I would check current firmware version for the DVD and look for a firmware update
> Use Nero Infotool to see current drive info incl. firmversion and look if updates available

2. See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

3. You might also try a DVD+R disc

/* EDIT */
Oh! i also just noticed you posted in the Introduce Yourself forum. Next time please post in the forum for topic :)

Thank You

Thank You for your response. I did check for a driver update and did not find any. I finally found on the Microsoft web site a sentence at the bottom of the information that said DVD Audio burn is not supported for XP on WMP 11. I am purchasing Roxio Creator and hope to have success with it.

I am sorry for posting in the wrong place. I thought I was doing it in the same place that I found other information. Please forgive my first post. I will do better next time. Thanks again.

Are you trying to make an audio DVD or just transfer files to a DVD?

You can try this free program if you just want to burn files.

Do try different burning software then. And gwailo247 also has a good suggestion.

But I wanted to clarify one thing (just to make sure you were aware).

I did check for a driver update and did not find any.
Did you check for a firmware upgrade also? There's a difference between "drivers" and "firmware"
> Drivers run on the computer under Windows
> Firmware is code that's actually burned into the DVD drive

If you run the Nero Infotool it will tell you the current firmware version on your drive. What does it show? (click link for example)
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7974/infotool.jpg

Thank You

I did check for a driver and firmware, before I purchased Roxio Creator 2011.

The only updates that were available, were for the Realtek HD Audio, nothing for my DVD drive. (I did follow through on the audio, even though I know it had nothing to do with the DVD burn. I checked the Realtek site and they recommended I check with the PC manufacturer, so I did. The HP site said I had the most up-to-date one for my PC Model.)

I purchased the Roxio program, installed it and everything works great. I can burn music on blank CDs and DVDs and play them back.

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate the quick response.

Back