Windows no longer recognises my second hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
due to memory lag my pc stopped responding i switched off the computer by holding in the power button. this caused my C drive to combust and i have since replaced this drive, however since this happened my D drive which my computer had no problems recognising before is now not detected by my bios or windows.

My initial C Drive was a Maxtor 5400 40Gb
I have replaced that with a Maxtor 7200 80gb
My D drive is a Seagate 5400 30 Gb

i have tried swapping the cables and changing the jumper settings but nothing i do seems to make a difference. it is worth noting that my d drive has no os on it and is for data storage only.

can anybody help???
thanks

i have a SIMILAR problem. I have 3 harddrives in my p4. one is a maxtor 40gb, the other two are seagate. my maxtor is recognised when it feels like it. I mean sometimes i will switch on the computer and the maxtor is there. next day its not. I dono why but could it be involved with the fact that i installed windows 2000 onto the maxtor before i put it onto the computer. the other harddrive had windows xp. when i put it in for the first time i formated the maxtor but the problem still exists... any ideas?

Try going into control panel, add new hardware..see if it gets detected..you should see it in the list. Highlight the item then Windows should install the software for you, or prompt you for a driver that came with software.

If it does not get detected and is not on the list, click 'no it's not on the list' and then click 'next.'

Windows will then search for your hardware again or you could choose to 'select from a list.' Follow prompts to install software.

Either way you eventually end up installing new hard disc controllers, generic or the one that came with your HDD.

If this doesn't work I have another solution. This is all assuming the cables and jumper settings are good/correct.

yo, mine didn't work with that solution. i tried to manually install it but it didn't work.

after i posted my first reply i went, switched on the pc and lo and behold the maxtor was there but the second seagate was not. if i fiddle with the wires in the case, like pull out a power plug and plug it back in straight away they all normally work. i dont know whats going on...

Wes is the drive recognised in the bios?

Pkroks if you're using the power supply that came with the case it could well be causing problems. They are generally cheap PSUs and with 3 drives starting at once it may be struggling.

ya that could be the problem. i will try to copy my data onto my other hdd in my new rig. I think i will just run with 2hdds on at one and then if i need to, i can change to the other hdd. thanks ;)

Unplugging any cables with power to the system is not recommended. HDD corruption is just one of many bad things that can result.

patio. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back