Windows Phone now the #2 mobile OS in Latin America

Scorpus

Staff member

windows phone

Windows Phone has soared up the rankings to become the second most popular mobile OS in Latin America, jumping from fourth to second place in one year. IDC's Mobile Phone Tracker report claims that for the second quarter of 2013, Microsoft's platform showed 12% growth over the previous quarter, thanks to strong sales of low-end devices.

In Colombia, Windows Phone has the highest percentage of users out of all countries in the region, with 25.6%, while in Mexico Windows Phone maintained the number two spot for two quarters in a row. In other countries such as Chile, Argentina and Brazil, Windows Phone finished in third spot, but showed significant growth.

Microsoft attributes this growth to the wide range of Windows Phone devices available in 20 countries across Latin America, and stated "the market availability of new devices will be a factor in ensuring this trend endures over the next three months". With Windows Phone now occupying second spot in the region, Microsoft reached their goal, set at Mobile World Conference earlier in the year, to become the number two mobile platform in Latin America.

One low-end device that's been particularly successful in emerging markets, such as Latin America, is the Nokia Lumia 520. The phone has been praised for being affordable and reasonably well featured, making it a good choice over competing entry-level Android devices. According to AdDuplex, the Lumia 520 is currently the most popular Windows Phone worldwide, ahead of flagship offerings such as the Nokia Lumia 925.

Permalink to story.

I quite like the Win phone OS. If it wasn't for their lousy app store I'd seriously consider one as my next upgrade. I actually prefer it to Android.

I quite like the Win phone OS. If it wasn't for their lousy app store I'd seriously consider one as my next upgrade. I actually prefer it to Android.
Same here, I'm quite impressed with the Lumia 1020 in particular. Only thing stopping me is the lack of apps compared to Android.

I would never buy anything Microsoft.... their only accomplishment in the last decade is XBOX.

My 2010 excel at work functions no better than excel 95. Crashes daily. They make pure garbage.

Well, im from Santiago de Chile, pretty techy city for latin american standards and I swear that ive seen no more than 10 windows phones in the streets
Here people loves Android, you see lots of Galaxy S3 & 4 on the streets and TONS AND TONS of cheaper android phones, at least from my perception, Iphone is second place here, not Windows phone

I would never buy anything Microsoft.... their only accomplishment in the last decade is XBOX.

My 2010 excel at work functions no better than excel 95. Crashes daily. They make pure garbage.

Your excel crashes? What kind of piece of crap hardware are you running it on? Your comment is a joke!

It's hard to compete with high end android offerings, but android does not scale well across hardware. Android certainly has more apps, but the low end phones are so slow you cant use many of them. Windows phone is the clear choice for the budget smartphone user. That, and Microsoft doesn't allow(limits, really) the apps you can preload onto wp8, so no preloaded bloatware.

Back