<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe *Missing*(I did look before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've scoured nearly the entire internet looking for any good news for me, but nothing seems tailored to my issue. Please look and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I logged into my PC today (2 year old Dell Dimension P4 3.8 w/1gig ram and 80gig HDD) loaded up a game and blue screened. Haven't seen one of those nasty's on one of my PC's in 5-6 years. Basically looked like a data dump/reg key problem.

Rebooted PC, logged in and it said it couldn't load my profile cuz of a bad reg key or sumthin like that. It loaded up a fresh, brand new looking Profile with stock everything. All my data was still there though. I checked "Control Panel > User Accounts" to see if it created a new Accound and all the sudden "Asp.net" was there. I checked the net to see if I could delete it and it said I could, but that I just wouldn't be able to do any ASP work if I did (which I don't).

Anyways, once I deleted that and reset my PC to see if my settings came back, that's when I got "<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Reinstall this file"

I've tried the "expand d:\i386....c:\windows\system32" solution every which way. I've tried copying files to my C: drive. They both say "Access Denied".

I've tried "bootcfg/rebuild/add/scan/" all of those options. Nothing. "Rebuild" and "Add" say I need to run "Chkdsk". Ok.....

So I run "Chkdsk /r". Scans all the way to 34% and locks up. Let it sit for like 8 hours. System isn't making any sounds indicating it's doing anything.

I've tried Reinstalling Windows. It shows that my 80gig C:\ is 75892 (something like that) and that 75892 is free. When I go to install Windows it says there is a bad file *gasp* and that I might need to format.

I know the boot.ini was probably nuked with the deletion of ASP.net account, but I don't seem to be able to get it back on there any way. I'm going to try and slave it to another SATA PC, but I don't know anyone who has one right off hand and I don't have a spare drive of any kind. Tried to install windows on my thumb drive, but it's not able to do that.

I used to have a CD called Windows PE or sumthin like that that was like a bootable Virtual OS where I could navigate a bad drive, grab files and save them. I really don't care to format, but there are some things I do wanna get. Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide to help you help me.

Thanks a million in advance for any help!

Take Care!

David

My guess would be a bad hard drive or a FUBAR filesystem. Test the hard drive with the diagnostics utility provided by the HD manufacturer.

So I run "Chkdsk /r". Scans all the way to 34% and locks up. Let it sit for like 8 hours. System isn't making any sounds indicating it's doing anything.
This is a good indicator your hard drive has decided to move on to the after life... It's just following the light at the moment.

Run a drive manufacturer's diagnostic as Nodsu said. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html and it will scan for bad SMART data, bad sectors, interface problems etc...

My initial impression was a virus, but the drive hanging during chkdsk is 99% likely to be imminent drive failure.

K. So everything is good! PC is back up and running. Everything is square.

What I did:

I used a utility called "Hard Disk Regenerator" that ran at PC startup. Took a day and a half and repaired 20000 bad sectors of like 15billion. Whatever. Fixed it enough to where I could run BartPE/Windows PE. Google this and burn it. It's wonderful. Saved me twice. It runs off of 50mb of memory and forms a OS than runs with minimal Windows resources like Explorer, Calc, Netwroking...etc. Anyways...I was able to get into my "unacessible c:\" and see all my files. I networked to another PC using Remote Desktop Connection and transferred 50gigs of info; Pictures, Game Save Data, Music, Programs, videos...the works. EVERYTHING WAS SAVED!

F.Y.I. The HDD Regenerator was on a utility cd called "Hirem's Boot CD". Lots of good utilities in that for cases just like this.

Anyways...just lettin you guys know and for anyone else who runs into the same issue.

Take Care!

Looney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back