Windows Server 2003 VPN Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

zynizen

Hi,

I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 in an office here, for a file server. I was wondering the best way, and preferably the cheapest way to setup a secure VPN server on it? I was running RRAS with PPTP VPN, but, the users cannot connect anymore and browse the file shares, so I'm not sure what happened, but its not that secure anyway.

Is there something common I should be using for a VPN server, I know its such a pain topic to discuss, and everyone seems to have different setups, but, I basically just need connectivity for 1 user for now, and possibly 3 to 5 users in the future.

All they do is access files, so nothing major. I'm sure using Cisco VPN software and hardware would be super secure, but I've found I haven't had a chance to attend cisco university just to figure out their hardware.

Thanks,
Appreciate it.

The cheapest option would be to use free solutions. Maybe take a look at OpenVPN or Hamachi?

I checked out the OpenVPN page, it seems fairly straightforward, however its not a simple install and confgure and your done. It's been given quite a bit of attention though, so it seems promising. Beats any majorly priced software out there.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back