windows xp crashes when running dos app

Status
Not open for further replies.
we use foxpro 2.0 on a novell server 3.1x... one of the options is to run reports which then prints to an dell 1710n laserjet printer and is connected to the parallel port of the novell server (Dell Poweredge 4300).

the client which prints these report are running windows xp (w/svc2 and novell client 4.91 the latest).

the problem here is after running the report (it may take once or it make take a few times) the client/windows xp will go blue screen.

foxpro will automatically print out anything as long as a device is connected to the novell server via parallel port.

it doesnt stay long enough for me to see blue screen... windows just restarts... im trying to figure out if i might see the error in Event Viewer... i do see System error timed about the same time the computer crashed... it reads:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 1003
Source: System Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5.

running DOS under Win XP

http://www.foxite.com/forum and sign on then ask your questions. They are world experts.

Essentially, you must use cmd.exe not command.com under XP to have the necessary DPMI memory control functionality. If you dont know how to set up cmd.exe as default, I'll need to look it up and get back.

Create a desktop Pif with
cmd line c:\fpd26\fox.exe +X application.app (if you want direct execution)
run normal window (but you probably won't get mouse control, in which case run maximised or toggle with alt-enter)
close on exit

Under the memory tab of the properties you want
total memory auto
EMS none
XMS none
DPMI 8192 (or more if you really need it, but 8Mb is usually adequate)

finally, what is in the CAPTURE command line of the batch file you start your application with when you need to use the server's printer?

to stop windows from re-starting:
start/settings/control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery/
click settings button
uncheck "automatically restart"
this will display your "blue screen" and will not restart the pc.

Importing DBF/Excel to MS Access

on occasion when i import dbf or excel files into MS Access (2003 w/SP2) and then after im done working on it in Access and im ready to export back to a DBF file i get a message "field too long".

i will have multiple fields ranging from 10 to 32 fields and the fields are usually set to 255... i will then lower the field size to 200 and then im able to export to a dbf file.

its very cumbersome when i have a lot fields to change, what causes this and is there a quicker way to change all fields rather than one at a time?

re: windows crashing

if i can prevent windows from crashing then i think i would have won half the battle... i havent tried other suggestions yet but will... thanks all!!!

BTW - my other issue with importing DBF/Excel to MS Access, should this have been a new post as to stay away from my first issue???

i've had to deal with the same problem. dbf doesn't like long field names (255) you have to change them as you export. or define your table when you create them with smaller field sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back