Windows XP - Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Hope someone can help.

I have Windows XP. Recently, it has started freezing just after the password is entered. Everything loads up fine, but as soon as I input the password to load my preferences, the computer freezes and I see the hourglass.

I have tried to use the repair option from booting from CD, and it went through the whole process wthout a problem, but when I went to log in, it froze again.

I then tried to log in as a "Guest", but again it froze.

I am thinking it is a virus, and if so, how can I get rid of this virus without signing in?

I have the AVAST anti-virus as well as PC-Cillin antivirus. I also have Webroot anti-spyware as well as Windows defender. I thought I was pretty well protected....

Any suggestions so that I do not have to spend $150 or more?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Rick

If you have a newer version of PC-Cillin (not sure about Avast) you can boot off of the cd and do a virus scan. Can you start the computer in Safe Mode (press F8 while booting)? If so try to run a scan in safe mode and also download and run an anti-spyware program, as it could be spyware also. Run that in safe mode as well and remove all of the stuff it finds. Then go here and follow the instructions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

Thanks for the help

Actually, I had a conflict between Avast and PC-Cillin. Apparently with Windows XP you cannot have more than one anti-virus running. That was the cause of the problem.
PC-Cillin is now disabled and everything is fine.:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back