Windows XP hangs at start up with USB device plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I have recently purchased a Microsoft wireless desktop combo (keyboard and mouse) and have an issue that I hope can be resolved.

The problem is that whenever I boot my computer and this USB device is plugged in, Windows won't start. If I unplug the device and restart, Windows will start normally, and I can then plug the device in and it works fine. Kind of a hassle to have to plug and unplug for every boot. I can plug this into any USB port and get the same action. All other USB devices work correctly. I have looked everywhere for an answer to this, including Microsoft, but I can't find one.

The HD has recently been reformatted (thinking that might have helped), all updates have been made, and no conflicts are shown in the device manager. If it helps, I have Windows XP Pro, a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processor, 250MB of HD, 1.5 GB memory.

Any suggestions as to how I may get this running properly? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Charlie

I believe its to do with your "usb legacy" setting in your bios!!!!
I think usb legacy support needs to be enabled, not %100 sure tho!!!!

Thanks Rik - I tried that and it did not make a difference. I've noticed that if I continue to reboot the PC, it will eventually start Windows, and the screen stating that Windows could not load successfully will come up - very strange. If anyone has any ideas about how I can correct this, I'm all ears!

Perhaps the wireless mouse and keyboard is faulty?!?! It may be worth having it replaced just in case!!!!

Thanks again for your input, Rik. I took it back and exchanged it, but no luck. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I think its strange that it doesn't do the same thing every time, which makes me think that possibly some other hardware issue exists - maybe the motherboard is going? I'm going to try it on the front USB ports and see if that changes anything. Thanks again for your advice -

Hmmm, not a run of the mill problem!!!!

Let me know how you get on and in the meantime i will keep a lookout for and info that may be useful to you!!!!

I would have to say windows is trying to load a driver for your USB device wich could be corrupt and thus holding up windows. Try reinstalling ALL of your drivers with the latest ones.

YES! It was a driver for the Media Audio Controller, which I don't use, but nonetheless was screwing up the start-up. Thanks to CrossFire and Rik for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back