Windows XP killing my laptop battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy75

At the beginning of the summer I deleted my windows xp install and installed mandriva 2005 linux. At the time I was getting about 2 hours 30 mins battery life. As I continued to run linux for the summer, the battery life slowly went up to about 3 hours. Then I needed to install Windows XP again because I was starting college and need it for my college work.

Within about a week of having xp installed I noticed the battery life was decreasing to about 2 hours, and now after 2 weeks of having xp installed my battery never lasts longer than 35 mins even on the "Max Battery" setting and with the display backlight turned down as much as possible.

Ever since I have had this laptop I have been running it until the battery is totally flat at least once a day hopeing to keep the battery lasting as long as possible before having to buy a new one.

It has only recently (in the last 2 weeks) that it has been degrading very fast from 3 hours running time to 35 mins at the most and it has only happened since I have put xp back on it. It always worked fine before with xp and always lasted over 2 hours 30 mins with xp before.

Does anyone have any ideas why it should suddenly do this?

BTW my laptop specs are as follows:

Compaq Presario 700
AMD Duron 900Mhz Processor
256MB PC100 RAM (of which 32MB is shared with the graphics)
40GB Toshiba Hard Drive
DVD-ROM/CD-ROM Drive
S3 Twister K Graphics (memory is shared from main RAM)

How oldis the battery? it sounds like it is reaching the end of it's life cycle.

battery life is not dependant on your OS- only how long it has been draining and recharged.

The battery is just over a year old. I thought it would have lasted longer than that. BTW it is a genuine compaq battery not some cheap generic one.

battery lasting longer again now

It's been a while since i've been on here so ill give a quick update.

i've been running linux again for the last few weeks on the laptop and I have noticed the battery creeping up to the one end a half hours mark. only thing 1 think it could be is it must be something to do with the way windows control's power management and charging.

(if you notice any spelling mistakes in this its becase i'm handwriting with a gfx tablet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back