Windows XP Pro 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop

are all 32 bit programs and games (i.e. Call of Duty) compatiable with Windows 64 bit? or is it better to just get 64 bit versions of programs/ games? thanks

also its worth noting that some of the copy protection doesnt work with XP64 like some gamesusing starforce etc :(

I'm afraid I'm not a gamer, and so I can only tell you that if there are 64bit versions of those games, then they will work. If you can't get hold of a 64bit version of those games then they won't. sorry. Perhaps somebody else knows about those games in particular.

Mostly though, games are written in 32bit, and only a relative few have 64bit verions available

It will run, all 32bit Windows programs will run in XP64. The problem is sometimes they run just a tad slower than they would if the same system was running XP32.

wow - everything I've read has told me thatxp64 doesn't support 32 bit software and drivers. I must have been reading the wrong articles!

(clearly I'm taking SNGX's word for this - he knows more than I do)

edit: And now I don't have to take SNGX's word for it. It's true, which means I monumentally screwed up and got the facts wrong. Windows XP 64-bit DOES support 32 bit applications (except kernel mode applications), but DOESN'T support 32 bit drivers.

Additionally, there may be some performance loss in running 32 bit applications on winXP64 compared to it's 32-bit cousin....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896456

You are right on the drivers. But wrong on the programs. :)

But now you got me second guessing when I said "all". I know I didn't have any problems with 32 bit programs such as trillian, mirc, winamp, office 2003, and several others.

Have edited my above post with MS's official word on the matter from the MSKB, SNGX. You were perfectly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back