Windows XP Pro and Home - how do you remove domain from signon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased several CPU's at auction that have Windows XP Pro & Home Installed. They were all set up to require username, password, and a fixed Domain which is (unchangeble). I have the ability to find the passwords but how do I eliminate Domain requirement. I've tried safe mode, I've eliminated the passwords, but I don't know how to eliminate the domain. I really don't want to reformat the hard drives unless I have to.

Mike

Windows XP Pro And Home How Do You Remove Domain From Signon

Sorry, I must not have been clear on the issue. The problem is that I cannot get past the signon because of the requirement for the domain. since it no longer exists you can't logon, and if I can't logon I can't get to "my computer" to make the change. I know the passwords and user names, but cannot figure out how to eliminate or get around the domain issue on the sign on page.

Mike

I don't know how to eliminate the domain name from the login, but you may be able to find the domain name in the registry if that would be of any help.

There are softwares that will allow you access to the registry (regedit) from a live boot cd. One is http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm. From there you can search for domain to find the domain name.

My computer is setup as a workgroup but has a domain key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment.

Edit: Here is another offline registry editor: http://www.pcregedit.com/

Is this the logon screen:

Capture.jpg

There is an automatic logon capability in Windows XP that can be configured in the registry. Once you are able to use an offline registry editor you can follow the steps outline in this Microsoft support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231.

I think this should work because the default domain name should already be a value under that registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon). You may have to enter a default user password value under the registry key.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 9
i'm pretty sure you need domain credentials to unjoin that computer from a domain and take it out of the logon box. this information will be difficult to find if the local user accounts were not permitted to join new computers to a domain.

mcrabtree,
When you do the Ctrl Alt Del to get the login box, if there is an Options Tab hit that and where the domain name is use the dropdown arrow to select "computername this computer".
And try your administrator login there.
You said the domain was fixed, if it truly is fixed you may need to format and re-install XP. Should be a Microsoft Product Key on the tower/desktop.

Start | Run | control userpasswords2

click on the account to want to log on automatically and uncheck the box User must enter a username and password to use this computer

Test what you did by rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back