Windows XP Pro install CD damaged

bmyzer101

When I try and install my Windows XP Pro on my wifes computer, (new hard drive) It will run through everything. Formatting hard drive checking system partitioning hard drive. But when it starts to copy files, I get a message. It's always a drifferent file but it says "(Whatever) file cannot be copied. The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD."

I know this CD worked, I've loaded it on her computer several times because of hard drive failures, motherboard failures and other things. I got this copy from my IT classes when I was in school last year. One copy was given to all the students because we were a Microsoft certified school. We all got one copy and one product key, which is no concern because I use it on the same computer with the same NIC card so the mac address is the same. The only thing we didn't get was the COA.

My question is, does anyone know if Microsoft will replace a damaged XP pro CD if you don't have a COA or if it is a student copy?

Thank you for your help.

I don't know the answer to your question. But, does the disk look physically damaged? The reason I ask is several years ago I had problems installing Windows (probably XP but I forget) where the setup would fail on different files each time. Turns out I had bad RAM. Might be worth looking into.

Could possibly be your hard drive, I have encountered that before where every time I tried it said a different file was corrupt.
I know you said it was new, but is there anything on the hard drive? Perhaps it is not so new. Try booting from one of the many Boot CDs available and see if there is a partition there. Delete it if there is and try again.

You could thoroughly test the HDD with manufacturers validation software, but in my view the CD drive (not necessarily the CD itself) is just as, if not more likely to be the culprit. A new CD drive costs next to nothing.

bmyzer101,
Remove any USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard. Remove all PCI cards except video if you have one installed. Reset bios to failsafe defaults and try the Windows install once more. A "deactivated" copy of Windows will not get errors when installing. A worn out CD/DVD drive might though. As SNGX1275 mentions, your memory might be the cause. If you have more than one memory stick installed, remove all but one

XP installing problems

Hi, I had this problem several years ago, while installling XP home. It would install files for several minutes, then stop, with an error, 'continue or retry'. I thought the Windows disc was damaged in some way, but I kept it in 'as new' condition. My Cd drive was beginning to 'play up' with other discs, so I bought a new Philps CDRW in a sale, and I never had any install problems again. I put it down to a failing laser in the old drive.

Hi bmyzer101,

The problem you are having is VERY common when you have a fault RAM stick or a fauly RAM socket.

The errors occurs as when Windows installed it basically copies the files to your RAM before copying/installing to your HDD. When you have faulty RAM sticks installed it will crash at random times when copying a file over as it cant access the infomation on the stick.

I reccommend downloading and running Memtest86.
You can download a bootable version of the Software which does not require you to have an OS installed on your PC in order to test the memory.

ONce you have done this if you can post your results on here and we should be able to tell you if your RAM is at fault or not.

Hope this helps

James

Well wound up one of the RAM sticks and one of the sockets were bad. Tried all the combinations and found the bad stick and the bad socket. Good call jamesodriscoll. Again, thank you everyone for all the help.

@bmyzer101

Did you miss this ?

I don't know the answer to your question. But, does the disk look physically damaged? The reason I ask is several years ago I had problems installing Windows (probably XP but I forget) where the setup would fail on different files each time. Turns out I had bad RAM. Might be worth looking into.

You can use ANY xp install disc to install windows. Use the key from YOUR disc to validate.

Sorry SHGX1275. I saw about the hard drives and started testing them first. By the time I tested them and got back on hear several people were throwing suggestions at me. sorry I missed that one. Good call to you too. Thank you everyone for your help with this one.

If its not the ram just get a copy of XP off the net and burn it to disk, so long as you activate it with your legal product key its all good. A family member or freind may have a disk so ask around, just download a copy if you can't get hold of one.

Back