Windows XP Pro only $39.95!?, Can this be real?

Here is another scam that has been going around. They claim to be selling OEM versions of all types of software with no box or instructions and this is why it is so cheap!

Has anyone ever heard of them and if so are they real? Worth taking a risk? Your input would be greatly appreciated. The link appears below.

I know that I'm not willing to risk sending them any money but that's just me!

Thanks

http://www.oemprospect.biz/faq.html

Some of these places are quite legit. I don't know which ones are and aren't but I'm pretty sure most of the ones I've seen with ads in Computer Shopper and PC World magazines are probably legit, as they have been running for years.

No way.. Don't do it!

This seems like a rip-off to me... Let me tell you why:

1.) The payment section is not hosted on a secure site, so your credit card information is not encrypted or the least bit secure.

2.) There are no address listed for the business itself.

3.) Claims of "International shipping" sounds pretty bogus already. If this operation is overseas, there's no way to protect your credit card.

4.) The domains .biz and .info in conjunction with their "3rd-oem.info" address let's me know they haven't been around for awhile. February 12, 2004 to be exact. ;)

5.) The domain was registered in China, which is notorious for fake softwares. They look good... (although often there are mispellings. ha!), but they are not holographic discs because they are not the real discs. If you order one and you actually receive it... I think you'll find this is a professional pirated version. I've seen them myself.

6.) And the shipment time of "up to 6 weeks" sounds completely bogus. Just enough to time to rip you off and void your ability to chargeback.

Here's the domain registration information for www.oemprospect.com

Give him a call. ;)

oemprospect.biz

Domain Name: OEMPROSPECT.BIZ
Domain ID: D6255610-BIZ
Sponsoring Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT. LTD., (D.B.A. DIRECTI.COM)
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: DI_294529
Registrant Name: Mika Lee Chung
Registrant Organization: CN PROSPECTS UNDO LLC.
Registrant Address1: jhueng str, 3/4, apt. 489
Registrant City: Katoma
Registrant Postal Code: dsk346qbx
Registrant Country: China
Registrant Country Code: CN
Registrant Phone Number: +99.8392894626
Registrant Email: whoi3emeng16@mail.com.cn
Administrative Contact ID: DI_294529
Administrative Contact Name: Mika Lee Chung
Administrative Contact Organization: CN PROSPECTS UNDO LLC.
Administrative Contact Address1: jhueng str, 3/4, apt. 489
Administrative Contact City: Katoma
Administrative Contact Postal Code: dsk346qbx
Administrative Contact Country: China
Administrative Contact Country Code: CN
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +99.8392894626
Administrative Contact Email: whoi3emeng16@mail.com.cn
Billing Contact ID: DI_294529
Billing Contact Name: Mika Lee Chung
Billing Contact Organization: CN PROSPECTS UNDO LLC.
Billing Contact Address1: jhueng str, 3/4, apt. 489
Billing Contact City: Katoma
Billing Contact Postal Code: dsk346qbx
Billing Contact Country: China
Billing Contact Country Code: CN
Billing Contact Phone Number: +99.8392894626
Billing Contact Email: whoi3emeng16@mail.com.cn
Technical Contact ID: DI_294529
Technical Contact Name: Mika Lee Chung
Technical Contact Organization: CN PROSPECTS UNDO LLC.
Technical Contact Address1: jhueng str, 3/4, apt. 489
Technical Contact City: Katoma
Technical Contact Postal Code: dsk346qbx
Technical Contact Country: China
Technical Contact Country Code: CN
Technical Contact Phone Number: +99.8392894626
Technical Contact Email: whoi3emeng16@mail.com.cn
Name Server: NS1.MOROZREG.BIZ
Name Server: NS2.MOROZREG.BIZ
Name Server: NS3.MOROZREG.BIZ
Name Server: NS4.MOROZREG.BIZ
Name Server: NS5.MOROZREG.BIZ
Created by Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT. LTD., (D.B.A. DIRECTI.COM)
Last Updated by Registrar: DIRECT INFORMATION PVT. LTD., (D.B.A. DIRECTI.COM)
Domain Registration Date: Wed Feb 11 14:57:28 GMT 2004
Domain Expiration Date: Thu Feb 10 23:59:59 GMT 2005
Domain Last Updated Date: Wed Feb 11 14:57:33 GMT 2004

yea,

I kinda figured as much. I just wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with them. I didn't really need the software but was only curious.

I think they are the same company that used to go by the name of CDCHEAP about 6 months ago. The prices are exactly the same.

Thanks for the thorough investigation though.

lol......cremedies, your sig :haha:

I dont see why microsoft doesnt give Mika a call.

Not to mention, notice the cute little line "This software is recognized as a backup software." while describing the media you'll recieve...

He could be selling licenses with burned copies of the software.

Would this be legal? :\

Originally posted by Rick
He could be selling licenses with burned copies of the software.

Would this be legal? :\

You don't even need to include the software, you can sell the licenses alone.

Well this is old news but XP Pro for $39.95 can be real:

MS cuts Windows price in Thailand

Microsoft has cut the price of its Windows operating system and Office application suite in Thailand, according to a report released by market analyst Gartner.

"Microsoft - in response to a Linux threat - recently reduced pricing to $40 (£26) for an Office and Windows package it offered as part of a government initiative in Thailand," said the report.

"Microsoft may offer a similar package in China as an incentive to keep Chinese enterprises using its products," the report added.

Pricing pressures and a backlash against Microsoft's dominance will move the company to offer more competitive pricing in other regions, according to Gartner.

Programmes similar to one launched in May by the Thai government to help low-income earners buy a desktop or a laptop PC with internet access will add to this pressure.

Microsoft initially did not take part in the Thai programme, so the government selected Red Hat's Linux operating system and Sun Microsystems' StarOffice productivity suite.

Price adjustments should start this year and by the second quarter of next year Microsoft will have cut prices by at least half in emerging markets, the research company predicted.

Responding to the report, Microsoft said that it had no plans to expand the Thai programme to other countries. However, the software company is willing to discuss with governments how it can help give underprivileged users better access to modern technology.

Despite an increased effort to battle software piracy, Microsoft faces a flourishing market for illegal software in Thailand. Copies of Windows XP can be bought for $4 and Office XP for $8, according to Gartner.

Hewlett-Packard is selling Linux-based laptops in Thailand for $450 as part of the programme initiated by the country's Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) ministry. Those laptops went on sale in May and HP has described demand as overwhelming.

The Microsoft price cuts in Thailand represent a steep discount compared with the US pricing for Windows and Office. The full version of Windows XP Home can be purchased for as little as $84 (£54) in the US, according to PCWorld.com's Product Finder. The full version of Windows XP Professional can be found for $130.95 and Office XP Professional for $254.

The country-specific price cut in Thailand, the second in Asia this year, represents a further break in Microsoft's long-standing policy of charging the same price for its software in countries around the world.

In 2002, Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission opened an investigation of Microsoft's business practices here, questioning whether the company had abused its dominant position in the market to inflate the prices of its products.

After a six-month investigation that proved inconclusive, the two sides reached a settlement earlier this year, with Microsoft agreeing to cut the price of some of its software products by an average of 26.7%.

Under the terms of that agreement, the price of Windows XP Professional Edition in Taiwan was cut by 23.7% while the price of Office XP was cut by up to 16.9%.

The greatest price reductions came for Windows XP Professional Academic Edition (54.5%), Office XP Academic Edition (50.1%) and Word (42%).

http://www.oemprospect.biz/ dont even work for me...

you 'can' copy you're own media disks, but not distribute them, as in, for back up purposes only.

Is he selling OEM software?... this can't be done anyway, without it being loaded by a computer OEM, on their premisis according to MS over here (UK). Though, if you've got an old PC... and you simply buy a new mouse and have someone load you a spanking (cheap) new copy of XP or whatever... thats legal!...

I've just read this again, and it dont make much sense to me :p

oh well...

Back