Windows XP reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I'm attempting a clean reinstall of WinXP on my old comp.
At the first blue screen prompt of the install program I'm asked to press "enter", "r" or "F3".
But my keyboard doesn't respond at this stage.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`m guessing, you`re using a usb keyboard? You may need to enable USB Legacy support in your bios. See HERE.

If that doesn`t help, try using a PS/2 keyboard instead.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I've tried two different ps/2 keyboards, however both had the funky internet keys above the F# row. Have attempted with keyboard legacy enabled/disabled as well.

The first blue screen spams what the programs loading at the bottom and the second screen is where I'm getting stopped. In between this the screen goes blank and then refocuses. Could this be indicative of some display hardware issue? I'm just using onboard Video atm.

I don`t think a video issue would stop your keyboard from working.

You didn`t confirm or otherwise, whether, your keyboard is usb or not. If your normal keyboard is PS/2, then maybe it`s a problem with your PS/2 ports, in which case, try a usb keyboard.

The only other thing I can think of, is maybe your Windows cd is damaged and Windows isn`t loading the keyboard drivers properly.

Regards Howard :)

My keyboard worked fine before my attempt at reinstalling winXP.

As I said previously, the keyboards i've tried are ps/2 keyboards.

Okay so I finally got it to work.

When it told me to press f6 install raid drivers or whatever I pressed F5 and selected the default option. After that it recognized my keyboard for whatever reason... (wouldnt it already be using the defaulT?)

But it works so no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back