Windows XP start-up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

Hello,

I have a very old computer, WIndows XP Home edition. When I switched the computer on, the lights just light up, but don't flicker and the monitor doesn't receive a signal - the computer isn't able to start up at all. I tried a few times, and then dusted it off a bit, and it worked within a few tries, I went into safe mode from there.

Though I suspect it is a hardware problem, there were a few errors in Event Viewer:

Under Applications:

Error: Event System: The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Error: VSS: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

Under System:

Error -Dcom - DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Error - Service control manager - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AmdK7
avipbb
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
ssmdrv
Tcpip

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Error - Service Control Manager - The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Error - Service control manager - The Messenger service depends on the NetBIOS Interface service which failed to start because of the following error:

Error - Dcom - DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

My minidump folder only has 1 minidump in it, though its from April. But I'm still attaching it here.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

I don't do minidumps, but I encourage use of the Event Viewer. However, it is best to copy the opened Event because that gives the event ID#, the Source and the Description:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

I went into safe mode from there.
    It's okay to go into Safe Mode to LOOK for the Errors, but you need to find the Errors for the times you were in Normal Mode

Error - Dcom - DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode
    Error - Service control manager - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    AmdK7
    avipbb
    Fips
    IPSec
    MRxSmb
    NetBIOS
    NetBT
    RasAcd
    Rdbss
    ssmdrv
    Tcpip
    If you were in Safe Mode at the time this occurred- same as DCOM- these don't start in Safe Mode.

Same for these:
    Source: Service Control Manager - The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Source: Service control manager - The Messenger service depends on the NetBIOS Interface service which failed to start because of the following error:

Services are like a cascade of features. They have dependencies. If the Dependency doesn't start, the Service won't start. And some don't start in Safe Mode.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT >
    You may experience various problems after you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

Follow this when using the Event Viewer. It will allow us to combine the Event ID#, the Source and the Description: Taken together, they usually lead to a resolution:

Hey Bobbye,

Mini dump cites the Code 0x0000007E, which as we know isn't exactly informative.
But has the exception code of 0xc0000005. Which is an access violation error code.

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations

Testing the RAM is generally a first step with this error.

It's all yours however, I just read the mini dump for you :). Hope it helps

It's not a RAM problem, because I used to have RAM problems before, and replaced my RAM already, which was faulty.

I'll get to posting the Event Viewer stuff soon.

These were all the errors at that time:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 07/06/2009
Time: 11:53:33 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Time: 11:53:33 AM
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Time: 11:55:10 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7001
Time: 11:54:54 AM
Description:
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Description:
The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Event ID: 7026
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AmdK7
avipbb
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
ssmdrv
Tcpip

---------------------

I really don't think there's anything seriously wrong here, is there?

I went into safe mode from there.
It's okay to go into Safe Mode to LOOK for the Errors, but you need to find the Errors for the times you were in Normal Mode
the following were already covered in my Post #2. None f these processes start in Safe Mode!

Time: 11:53:33 AM> COM

Time: 11:55:10 AM> "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " DCOM

Time: 11:54:54 AM> DHCP

Time: 11:54:54 AM> DNS

Time: 11:54:54 AM> IPSEC

Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AmdK7
avipbb
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
ssmdrv
Tcpip

the monitor doesn't receive a signal - the computer isn't able to start up at all. I tried a few times, and then dusted it off a bit, and it worked within a few tries, I went into safe mode from there.

When you say it worked, do you mean the OS loaded, the programs were available, the desktop display was okay?

IF this is a desktop, try another monitor and see if it works without problem. If it does, then the 'other' monitor
went bad.

I am curious though in the path you took: you got it working, but 'then went in to Safe Mode? Why?

Can you connect to the internet once it's started, in Normal Mode?

Yes, everything's working perfectly. The thing was that nothing was coming up on the display, and the lights weren't flickering at all, meaning that nothing was processing. This problem has happened a few times before too. Earlier, even if I had hibernated the computer, and the monitor came up with no signal and the lights on the cpu would not flicker, I would open it up, take out the ram, dust it off, put it back in, and turn on the computer, and it would start up normally resuming from hibernation.

This time, I took the RAM out the first time dusted it off, put it back in, and turned it on, nothing happened. It didn't work. So I again dusted the RAM off more carefully using a pencil eraser, and I took out the graphics card, and dusted it off and the slots it goes in. And it worked. Though, this time, it didn't start off normally resuming from hibernation, but I got the screen "the computer could not start up normally. Would you like to go to safe mode or last known good configuration or normal mode?" And I just decided to try with safe mode. Everything's working fine after that. I am typing this from normal mode, internet, the desktop and everything is fine.

It wasn't the monitor. It was like the computer itself wasn't starting up at all. It didn't even get to the point where the OS would start loading. Because while it was in its frozen state, I took out the monitor connector plug at the back, and the monitor suddenly switches on with a "Can not find signal" sign.

It's not a RAM problem, because I used to have RAM problems before, and replaced my RAM already, which was faulty.

I can tell you from experience that kind of thinking wastes a lot of time while you're troubleshooting. It's important to keep everything on the table until you can disprove it. Having another failing module is very possible and a good explanation for the problem at face value, but it could certainly be something else.

To regale you with a colorful anecdote, I had two sticks of Crucial 1GB DDR 3200 a few years ago that failed within 3 weeks of each other.

Running memtest for a few hours is a good idea, so don't write it off. :)

I have to agree on a potential RAM problem. No one should have to open the computer and dust off the RAM chips to get a system to work! Also a dust off on the graphics card shouldn't be needed.

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Go ahead and run the memtest.
How to use Memtest: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
2. Disable Hibernation and use Standby instead,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back