Windows XP thinks it's Windows 2000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I have XP and ME on my computer. I've recently upgraded my ME to 2000 and now I can't get into XP. It gives me a 2000 start-up screen and then reboots the computer! I also have a password for my XP user and now I can't even get my files from going into my drive.

Any input would be much appreciated!

try F8 on reboot
use safe mode then try to edit the boot ini
you can try to edit boot ini from console if you have the xp disc
not sure if W2K disc will help you may need to log in xp as admin
I use adminpak its the best

I think you are going to have to repair your XP install. When you installed 2000 it wrote over the XP boot loader. This is why you always install the oldest operating system first and install the newer afterwards. Rick has a sticky/read on repairing the XP install.

I would repair the xp install using your xp disk, *dont use the repair feature - go to install a new XP and when presented with your XP Partition press R to repair that install*

Then I would drag all your files off and start all over again.

A good trick I use when installing onto a disk that had a previous operating system is this

While doing a quick NTFS format during XP install, when it gets to 20% turn the PC off. When you get to the quick format again let it go through to the full 100% - That way you get no boot options screen, and after the BIOS post it procedes to load XP straight away with no fuss

Chris
www.pcpoorly.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back