WinXP cannot detect two DVD-Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krals

HI to all.
I am gonna crazy with this problem!
its like this:
A few days i got an error message "a system disk error occurred, press Ctrl ALt Del". After maaany tries to recover, i decided to setup again with WInXP..so far ok.
So everything went ok with XP setup but when i go to my computer now i cant see my two drives (BTC DVD-R and BTC DVD-ROM).I went to BIOS and i can see the two drives fine!!! I thought that maybe it was something wrong with the IDE cable..i changed it but nothing happend, i even plug another DVD-ROM to see what would happend but i cant see this too!
I have downloaded firmware updates for both drives but nothing.
some info:I have ASUS board.my HDD is SATA, and the two drives are connected to Primary IDE1.So there is no RAID problem i think since there is nothing connected there.

Can anyone whats all about ?

Please help.

What model Asus is this? are you running the latest available bios? when you installed XP did you load the sata drivers and then install the Mobo drivers after installing windows? are there any devices in device manager showing a yellow question mark beside them or a yellow triangle? last but not least have you double checked to make sure the drives are jumpered as master\slave?

You could try uninstalling the IDe channel the drives are on in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers, do that and reboot, widnows will automatically reinstall the channel and the drives on start up.

one more thing, did you make any changes in the bios when installing widows? have you checked to make sure that BOTH Sata and PATA ( IDE) are enabled?

There is a chance of of the IDE controllers has failed or its driver is corrupt. If re-installing the driver doesnt work connect the hard drive the the IDE channel the CDs were on and see if the computer boots normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back