2janealec

it appears that there is wireless network card bug
I thought it was my internet service provider
they sent a new wireless modem
but I still having an internet connection drop
and the speed is not up to the advertised, in fact it s barely half
any suggestions?
thanks in advance

Can you check with your laptop's manufacturer's site, support and drivers section, for any updated drivers for your wireless card. Another way to get the information, is to download the free program at;
www.drivereasy.com Then scan your pc, and check the list it produces, for any outdated drivers. The program can download them, but it's very slow, and your pc maker's site is the better option for the actual download of files.

I reloaded the driver
but the internet connection speed is still about half of the isp advertised speed
is there something buggy with the browser?

Some browsers are slightly faster to render the pages on your monitor, than others, Google Chrome is supposed to be fractionally faster, but it's a matter of taste and what you are used to. But the browser itself doesn't make the download speed any more or less than any other, it all comes down to the 'contention' on the phone line you are connected to, plus how far you are from your local exhange. Contention is how many others are connected and sharing the phone line with you. You can try connecting to your modem/router with an Ethernet Cat5e cable, and that will give you the fastest speed you can currently get. Worth comparing the speeds by wireless, and cable connections.
I pay for 2Mb/sec, the site www.speedtest.net tells me I get 1.45 Mb/sec, so until we get a fibre-optic line, I guess that's about right.

some basics on TCP performance; real TCP observible bandwidth ~= 70% of the rated throughput.

this is a side-effect of the contention architecture, ie: senders write without asking if the network is busy and thus create collisions forcing retries.

I have a fiber optic line
and it speed test did show the advertised speed before this dropping issue
and in the middle of the night
I heard the computer turn on
so there is something going on
but I dont know how to find it
any further advise would be appreciated
I scan with malwarebytes and there is nothing seen
thanks

The network card usually has a feature Wake-on-LAN, which should be disabled.

Check your ISP Lease settings; IPCONFIG /ALL
mine looks like
Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xxxx.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 14, 2011 11:02:11 AM
        [B]Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM[/B]
The duration (Expires - Obtained) varies from ISP to ISP as well as the service agreement you purchased.
I have seen these to be as low as one day (ie: expiring at 23:59)

Back