Wireless no longer working on Linksys BEFW11S4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 that, until 2 days ago, was transmitting wirelessly. The router is hard wired to a Dell PC running Windows XP, and I was accessing the router wirelessly with a Macbook Pro and a Dell laptop with a Linksys wireless PC card. Neither the Macbook nor the Dell laptop can can recognize the router by the SSID, but both recognize other networks in the neighborhood. I have reloaded the firmware a couple times, used the reset button and turned off the power; nothing seems to work. Is it possible the Linksys can no longer transmit? Could my ISP (AT&T) disable my wireless capability?

is the network like this:
Code:
modem----router  .... WiFi connections to PC and Mac

Get a wired connection (router --- any.system)
and see what the TCP settings look like
pc: Run->cmd /k ipconfig /all
mac: click HD->Applications->Utilities-->Network Utility
select the Ethernet Interface (EN0)

If you have an IP address, then access the router config page with the browser
http://192.168.1.1/
and verify that the radio is ON and you have the SSID set.

perhaps turn encryption off (temporarily)

The router was wired to the Dell and the Macbook accessed the router wirelessly. I now have both hardwired to the router. Both systems have IP addresses provided by the router. I verified that the wireless function on the router is on, and I used a different SSID so I would be sure it would show up when I scanned for networks. WEP encryption is not enabled. It was working on the Macbook the other day, then just quit. Very confusing.

then either the router is not transmitting or the Macbook is not receiving --
verify the Mac has the WiFi enabled.

I think it's the router; the Macbook can 'see' the other networks in the neighborhood, and can log on to a couple that are not secure. Time to get a new router. I was thinking about getting the Apple Airport Extreme; I should be able to network the Dell to it, don't you think? Many thanks for looking at this and for your advice. s/f Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back