Wireless not working on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a friend's computer that I am trying to get wireless networking to work on. As I type I have my computer with wireless connected.

Fore some reason, it won't connect on his computer. He has a broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card that came with his computer. He also has windows XP professional. (I have home) anyway, I went here to the windows support website.

to try to fix the problem. According to the troubleshooting, his driver does not support the Wireless Zero Configuration Service.

. In the Network Connections folder, right-click Wireless Connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Configure, and then on the Advanced tab, configure your wireless network by using the available configuration options. The available options and option names may vary depending on the driver manufacturer.

The following list describes the basic configuration options:
( bla bla bla) none of these that it lists can be found in the advanced tab.

5. Click Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc in the Open box.
6. In Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
I can't find services and Applications in device management.

Please help, all I'm looking for is an internet connection, not really a network.

thanks!

is there a WLAN utility that came in the computer for that card? I know that the broadcom cards I've seen(and the Dell branded broadcom cards) come with a WLAN utility that will manage the card. The utility will allow you to either manually enter the SSID and encryption key, or you can view avail networks to connect to.
Try using that utility to manage the card. If the card has no utility, try using WZC(you say it isn't supported but I find it hard to believe that broadcom would not support it on their own cards when they have that support on the cards they make for dell, the dell cards are simply rebranded broadcom cards)

Broadcom 54g Configuration woes

I hope this helps. I have been checking out many web sites and forums which point to the general displeasure of the wireless networking community when it comes to configuring Broadcom-based wireless network adapters. I have a Speedstream 1024 PCI (ver. 2) based on the Broadcom 4301 chipset. It is 802.11b, has minimal security, and the driver for it is really not worth downloading. It's at the efficient networks speedstream site.

If you are unfortunate enough to have version 3.0 of the PCB, sold in some European countries, there are drivers at a site called e-tech in Holland.
Look for Broadcom and 2 LED. Yeah, it's a bit cryptic.

How does this relate to your problem? I will explain. I accidentally hosed my wireless config utility. I also wished to use WZC to configure my network card, but no dice. I think this is because Broadcom chipsets are a general class of software-defined radios. Their innate capabilities go far beyond the 802.11 spec. Makes you think, huh? Anyway, the way this seems to work is that the driver links the hardware to a HAL, which cannot be accessed by WZC, and the Wireless Configuration Utility, of whatever flavor, links to the HAL. Each vendor has their own Utility software which is maddeningly incompatible with every other vendor's (and products of a different revision number within vendors). The solution, I discovered, is hinted at in a colorado college page which guides you through an install using the HP config utility.

OK, it's actually at HP, but the point is, you can use this page to guide you through what to do. Download the HPBroadcom.exe app. Install, then run. You may need to install your drivers first, using the Control Panel --> Add Hardware method. What you shouldn't do is install the Wireless Utility which came with your hardware. OK, it's not usually a disaster in everyone's case, but I had old software, which could not be switched. Just look at the messages for Speedstream 1024 and feel the frustration flowing through the screen.

The HP utility is not actually HP specific. Oh, sure, there is a long list of HP/Compaq adapters supported, but it doesn't end there. It is a generic broadcom chipset configuration utility. As long as you have a BCM4XXX something, you will golden, err...I hope. Well, let me know how it turns out.
These days, Broadcom is on the out, at least in this area. The new player is Ralink, but that is a story for another day.

Driver Conflicts

Yeah, it's important to install manufacturer specific drivers first. Then install the Broadcom WLAN Utility. If you look at the .inf files under Broadcom, you'll see entries like :
[BROADCOM]
%BCM430B_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XX, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4301&SUBSYS_12F3103C
%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00E70E11
%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_12F4103C

VEN_14E4 is broadcom
DEV_4301 is the 802.11b chip
DEV_4320 is 802.11g

SUBSYS is manufacturer specific. I actually have PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4301&SUBSYS_1025111A&REV_02

So I am not represented in the *Broadcom* driver set. Instead I have to install their utility on top of my vendor-specific drivers. I've had a little more time to play with this, and the results can be painful, sometimes. After a restart, I have been getting lockups and freezes, but I think I'm making progress. It may be important to switch the order of installation (Broadcom Program first, then driver). Also, Broadcom installs it's own generic drivers which I don't seem to be using. I have been experimenting with removing them (Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs) and restarting. Well, back to the fun.

wireless not working on xp

Problem is I am unable to enable radio on Broadcom WCU. When radio button is tagged and apply is hit, message received is "the radio on your 802.11 network adapter is disabled. Use the hardware radio switch to enable it."

enable fails.
Any suggestions?
TKS

Broadcom Error.

starkravings said:
Problem is I am unable to enable radio on Broadcom WCU. When radio button is tagged and apply is hit, message received is "the radio on your 802.11 network adapter is disabled. Use the hardware radio switch to enable it."

enable fails.
Any suggestions?
TKS

I have had the EXACT same problem. It happened one time, and it magically started working again. I'm using a Gateway 64bit AMD processor notebook, and three other family members have the same exact computer. Mine is the only one showing this exact error. PLEASE HELP!

Hope this works for you

I found your posts last night while plumbing the depths of despair having spent several hours trying to get a network to work late last night. I've just sorted it after a fresh look this eve.

The hardware radio switch is specific to your machine and/or network card. many have a physical switch, though mine doesn't, and having opened it up I couldn't find one inside the laptop either. I eventually:
- put my PC model number in on google
this got me a support site for my computer
In my case: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7070.htm
(with luck this will carry info for your machine)
I found the keyboard shortcut listed:
Fn + F2 - Wireless LAN
After that it switched the radio on, and two networks were found; my own and unknown to me, next door neighbours' (looks like I could have saved some money by speaking nicely to them!)
All is now working. Good luck

Al in York

same problem but celeron m w broadcom

i hope to can fix it as well as u tnks everyone hope to be a external botom or fn+f#

this is what you do.1.go into your router 2.turn on mixed mode.3 save settings.
4.turn off wep or any of them you have on.get most updated driver for wirelles modem.uninstall network and reinstall.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back