Wireless USB Adapter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to make this story brief:

I'm in college, and the apartment complex requires me to have wireless internet. I bought a Linksys G USB Adapter. As soon as it was installed my computer began freezing completely ever 5 - 15 minutes. I've called Linksys a number of times and we have tried all of the following:
1. updating the driver
2. changing USB ports
3. changing network connections
4. checking for spyware and viruses (my computer is clean)
5. restoring points
6. uninstalling and reinstalling linksys
7. Allowing Windows XP to connect itself so the Linksys and Windows software do not conflict with each other.

Some of these things helped, that is, the computer only froze ever 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I finally gave up on Linksys, wondering if it was defective, and bought a D-Link. Same problem has now occured. The computer does NOT freeze when there is no internet connected to it at all, such as when I restored points and thus uninstalled the linksys system.

The Internet works perfectly, and the network swears it's not a problem with them. However, the computer works perfectly well without the internet, so this cannot be a hardware problem. It must be a software or a network problem.

There is one thing that SEEMS as if it causes the computer to crash faster, and that is windows media player. I just tried playing my music exclusively from Itunes and not opening wmp, and it froze again. That was the last straw.

The computer has gotten better. It is able to hibernate now and wake back up, but as soon as I come home to it, and wake it up, it seems to start crashing again about every 15 minutes to one hour. So, I must be doing somehthing when I turn it back on??

This has never happened in the past before. My processor is Windows XP, my computer is a compaq desktop AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08 Ghz 448 MB of RAM. Please, if anyone has any ideas at all...I am at my wits end, I don't have the money for a new computer, so if I can salvage this situation that would be great. Thanks so much for any ideas.

MDR said:
I will try to make this story brief:

You failed :D

Seriously though, I hate any kind of USB dongle be it bluetooth or WIFI, Lots of people I know have had endless trouble with them, NTL my local ISP sent out a USB network adaptor when you signed up for broadband, they were that crap in the end they stopped sending them out.

Switch to a PCI NIC or if its a laptop get a PCMCIA card instead and see how you go.

Regards

get 2-3 of your mini dumps and post them back here.

It's far more likely that some software you seldomly use (ie only when online,
like flash, quicktime,...) is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back