WOF: What search engine did you use before Google?

Jos

There's no denying Google's dominance in the search engine market. The Mountain View giant currently holds somewhere between 80-90% of the global search market, depending on where you get your numbers, and is almost as dominant in the U.S. alone with a 66% share, according to the latest comScore report. It's become so present in our lives that the word 'google' itself is commonly used as a verb and has even made it to the Oxford and Merriam-Webster dictionaries.

Read the whole story

G

yahoo i think, after i found google ive used them ever since ^^ google is the best! ^^

Julio Franco

Staff member
For some reason Yahoo never appealed to me, so before Google I mostly relied on Altavista and Infoseek. I remember at one point there was no single search engine that delivered usable results for all queries, so I had to stumble back and forth until something good came up. Then Google came along and I never looked back, though to be honest as much as the I love instant search, I hate the screenshots that go along when you hover over results.

matrix86

Ask Jeeves was my main search engine, though I occasionally used Yahoo. After reading this article, I went and visited ask.com for the first time since Google came out.....boy has it changed, lol. I can't believe they got rid of Jeeves...the butler of the search engine :p

gooderguy

I used several like AltaVista, Lycos, Excite, Infoseek, Yahoo, and then when Dogpile came out and combined many of those I started using it. Wow, just now for the heck of it I tried all those search sites and they are still all there, just one changed names, it's been so long.

Ssendi

Aol was very common by then!!! then Msn because Hotmail was my first email hence msn used to be my home page!!!