wolfenstein Denial of service attacks. Experts wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw2354

While playing wolfenstein enemy territory I am experiencing DoS attacks which crash my computer. I then have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. Is there any software that will prevent these attacks from taking place? Thanks in advance for any information that can help me.

I don't think hijackthis would show anything

Everytime I get one of these attacks first the game starts lagging and the audio breaks up then the game freezes completely. After that I cannot exit Enemy Territory and have to restart my computer, when I restart my computer the boot menu (I think) says log into windows with safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration etc.. I can never log into windows I get the blue screen of death and then have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. So does that mean my hijackthis log would show nothing because I have already wiped out the hard drive?

I just want to make sure there`s nothing on your system that could account for your problems. That`s why I want to see a HJT log.

I don`t see why playing a game, should result in you having to reformat your system.

Obviously, something`s very wrong here.

Regards Howard :)

Here it is

The log is attached if I did it incorrectly please let me know When I said restart my computer I meant manually by turning it off and then on again.

Just as you suspected, you HJT log is clean.

Now this begs the question as to why this is happening.

Is this the only game you`re having this problem with?

If so, can you vouch for the game being free from any known defects etc?

Did you get the game from a legit source?

What are you systems specs?

I think I am a victim of UPD spoofing...

I was doing some research because I initially thought I had a virus and I am not very computer savvy so I had Norton "Sh*ttec" remove the virus by remote access. After that I had the same problem two more times. Then I started researching DoS attacks and found that a cracker would disguise his corrupt packets with the appropriate title and my firewall would not detect them because it was being tricked into thinking they were legitimate packets from the server. Does this make any sense if not let me know and I will try to clarify.

Yes, that does make sense. However, it might not be a dos attack. I`m not saying it`s impossible, but what leads you to believe that`s the case?

Is this the only game you`re having this problem with?

Have you checked your firewall log?

1) I am not having any problems with anything until I play the game I did a virus check on both the game and the patch before, and after installing them a virus scan reveals nothing same as the hijackthis log. I think it is a denial of service attack because of the research I have done. When I play the game I think somebody with computer knowledge is becoming aggravated with comments I am making figuring out my IP address and then flooding me with corrupt packets which somehow disrupts a kernel on the hard drive causing me to have to do a destructive search and restore it to the factory settings
2)It is the only game I play.
3)yes I have checked the firewall log and it reveals nothing.

Also I appreciate your responses so quickly

Rick

Let`s suppose you`re correct and a dos attack is the cause of your problems.

I don`t know what you can do about it other than contacting your ISP. Maybe ask them to change your ip address if it`s static. Maybe you should also consider contacting the police.

I still think, it`d be a good idea to try a different game and see if you still get the same problems.

I don`t suppose I`m helping very much, but to be honest, your the first person I`ve seen to have this problem on Techspot.

I don`t know what else to suggest really.

Regards Howard :(

Hey don't worry about it I have been beating around the bush on this for 3 days now. I already contacted my ISP and they gave me he number for the internet abuse department. I have seen some information about programs such as packet sniffers or packet encryptors or something like that. I have read a ton of websites about these two programs and couldn't find any laymans terms about what they do. Maybe you could describe these to me in terms I can understand it would let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or not.

Rick

I have seen some information about programs such as packet sniffers or packet encryptors

I`m afraid that`s well over my head mate. I`m probably more in the dark about those things than you are lol.

they gave me he number for the internet abuse department.

If it were me, I`d be phoning them asap.

I don`t see how I can possibly help you on this one. Sorry.

All I can do, is change your thread title slightly to attract a little more attention, in the hope that one of our members will know about such things.

Regards Howard :(

Thanks very much and don't sweat the fact that you couldn't help me, but hopefully someone will be able to. It is just aggravating that people do things like this, and I want to stop them from doing it then laugh in their face because their tricks won't work anymore. I am almost sure that the person who is doing this to me has done something to prevent somebody from reciprocating this attack on them, whether they want to talk about how they prevent it is a different matter. Anyway just rambling thanks again for the help howard and maybe we can figure it out together...

I have never seen a DoS attack on a PC during a game. I have delt with Hacks, and other such problems during games but not a DoS attack. Possible, I suppose. What port does the game use? Is there another acceptable port for the game? I think that is how is getting in. Your firewall is disregarding packets sent through that port.

I have heard of Packet Sniffers ETC. While I am no expert on networking security, from what I hear, they are not very effective.

But I would see if the game can use another port, and Contact the ISP abuse line If this really is a Dos attack, you need to put an end to it.

Sorry I can not be of more Help

Sean

It does seem from that thread, you may indeed be right.

Hopefully one of those guys will be able to help as they are amongst the most knowledgable members here.

I still think you should contact your ISP`s abuse line and see what they can come up with.

Good luck.

1.You could buy yourself a router + onboard firewall.Cost $40-50

Then any attack would just crash your router and not your PC.

You could then power it off for a while,reconnect and hopefully get an new IP.Until it happens again.

2.If it only happens with one game - STOP playing that game.

There are many others.Life is too short to get sressed out over a PC game.

From Newegg that costs about $130.

Either you have a very good deal or a typo :)

It sounds like a good router anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back