Worldeye is the animated globe that offers a realistic visual experience of the world

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There was once a time when owning a desk globe was viewed as a bit of a status symbol but now, it simply means you’ve fallen behind the times (see Google Maps). A Japanese company by the name of Gakken is looking to bring the one-time desk staple back to relevance with the Worldeye globe – a device that offers a realistic visual experience of the world

The creation is technically only half a globe as the back section houses the projector and other internals necessary to display imagery on the front of the sphere. The cool thing about Worldeye is that it can display up to 48 different images including 16 of earth, 16 of other planets and 16 of stars.

animated globe lets earth space globe animated globe worldeye

Specifically, it can be set to show things like world altitudes, seismic faults, forestation, bird migration or wind patterns. What’s more, you can connect an external device via HDMI and have it display your own videos or virtually anything else you can think of. It’s available now through the Japan Trend Shop at a steep price of $653.

Permalink to story.

Interesting. But with curved display technology just around the corner (It's here in some limited forms), someone will do better.

A really nice idea there!
but it should be a touchscreen connected to the internet and running google earth right on that globe directly

so you could zoom in and out with your fingers swipe to turn the globe and such

How is owning a desk globe a sign of having "fallen behind the times"? If anything, I'd say it's relevant insofar that you're one of the few people left in existence who actually knows global geography.

Don't believe me? Ask anyone at work if they can point to Sudan. Or if you really want to shame them: Iraq or Afghanistan. There are plenty of folks who can't even point to France, Italy, or the Mediterranean Sea. o.O

Fallen behind? Nah. But then again, I'm probably just an old fuddy-duddy.

For $653, I could purchase a cheap mini projector & tablet, then display google maps on a wall with interactivity being on the tablet...with more features.

Techmoan over on YouTube did a nice review of this. It's a really neat gadget and I was impressed enough I ordered one. However, do some checking, you can get on on eBay from reputable sellers for a LOT less than $653.

Back