Would you buy this for gaming? Cheap but good?

I have found a person that is trying to sell a computer through a local trading site (same city), and I am hoping to find some guidance towards buying this computer.

I will post the specs later in this post, but I want this computer for gaming. I would also like to ask for some pointers in what to check for when I go to pick the computer up. I will be playing Battlefield BC2 on it to test it out. Anything else I should do?

The seller claims he is going to college to be a computer tech.

Here is the ad I found and the specs: (PRICES IN CANADIAN DOLLARS)

Custom built desktop computer and LG monitor for either 500$ cash or a macbook either 2009 or 2010. No low- balling offers please. I bought and built this desktop coming to a total of 565.36$ dollars. IF SOMEONE WISHES TO PURCHASE THE DESKTOP WITHOUT THE MONITOR MY PRICE IS 420$ FIRM. ALSO THIS OFFER INCLUDES A 19" LG FLATRON W1943TS VGA/DVI MONITOR with cables.

if someone is to purchase this computer, i will reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7 professional 64 bit and bundle it with Microsoft office professional plus 2010 with all newest operating system and office updates as well as high end security software everything preinstalled before we meet.

The desktop computer specifications

System Includes:
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIE x16

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.10Ghz Socket AM3

CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler.

Motherboard: Asus M4N68LT-M V2 Socket AM3

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333mhz

Case: Classic 3020 Mid Tower, front USB,Audio

Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar BLUE 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 7200RPM 16mb cache

Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 120mm PSU(new march 25th 2011)

DVD-Drive: LG 22x IDE DVD-RW+(brand new april 7th 2011)

Wireless: D-Link Wireless G Rangebooster PCI network adapter

Onboard Lan: Nvidia geforce lan 10/100/1000

Onboard Audio: Via High definition 5.1

this computer was bought and put together janurary 15th 2011

plays call of duty black ops on max res and max settings.
plays battlefield bad company 2 on max res and max settings.
plays gta 4 on max res high settings.
plays left 4 dead on max res and max settings.

all games shows no lag. also amazing for multi tasking.

Windows experience index

Processor = 6.6 out of 7.9
Memory(ram) = 7.2 out of 7.9
Graphics = 7.3 out of 7.9
Gaming Graphics = 7.3 out of 7.9
Hard disk = 5.9 out of 7.9(standard for any sata or IDE hdd)

Install fraps... You need at least 60FPS for the games to be enjoyable in my honest opinion. There is a huge difference between it running max settings/res, and it actually being playable.

Others will have to tell you if the price is worth it, as I'm from the UK. :)

On another note, please do not create duplicate threads about the same subject. Your new threads were placed in a moderation queue as the content was detected as being suspicious by the forum software.

Install fraps... You need at least 60FPS for the games to be enjoyable in my honest opinion. There is a huge difference between it running max settings/res, and it actually being playable.

Others will have to tell you if the price is worth it, as I'm from the UK. :)

On another note, please do not create duplicate threads about the same subject. Your new threads were placed in a moderation queue as the content was detected as being suspicious by the forum software.

Thanks! Have Fraps on a USB port and ready, thanks to you! I asked the current owner about the FPS, he said: 42-56 on bc2 and cod:bo 63-70

Do you have any input on the system itself? Or does anyone have any input on the price?

Once again thanks for information provided and thanks in advance for any more help!

I would find out when those figures are occuring. If its getting as low as 40 during intense gameplay (e.g. when all hell is breaking loose on screen!) then it might be OK, but only you can decide if you find it playable or not.

I've found I can live with 40-60FPS in some games when playing single player, but the same games are abysmal when you try and play them at the same framerates online with others - you however might be different.

Realistically you want to aim to have a minimum of 60 FPS at its lowest during game play, as this will allow for a much more fluid, consistent picture free of stuttering and freezing.

The specification of the computer looks to be nice - I do feel however that the CPU is perhaps on the lighter end of the scale for gaming (Is that right guys?), as is the GPU - although it will be perfectly playable when you accept that full HD is asking too much when playing games.

Thats the main reason why I disbelieve the game comments in your first post > My GTX280 overclocked alongside 8GB DDR3, and an OC'd 3.16GHz Intel Quad barely manages to break that at full HD resolution, and full max settings. Do not be fooled, modern games running at max need some serious CPU/RAM/GPU power. For example, my setup averages 60-80FPS in Left for Dead 2, at max res and settings, and it could be considered to be more powerful by a fair margain than this PC.

I would find out when those figures are occuring. If its getting as low as 40 during intense gameplay (e.g. when all hell is breaking loose on screen!) then it might be OK, but only you can decide if you find it playable or not.

I've found I can live with 40-60FPS in some games when playing single player, but the same games are abysmal when you try and play them at the same framerates online with others - you however might be different.

Realistically you want to aim to have a minimum of 60 FPS at its lowest during game play, as this will allow for a much more fluid, consistent picture free of stuttering and freezing.

The specification of the computer looks to be nice - I do feel however that the CPU is perhaps on the lighter end of the scale for gaming (Is that right guys?), as is the GPU - although it will be perfectly playable when you accept that full HD is asking too much when playing games.

Thats the main reason why I disbelieve the game comments in your first post > My GTX280 overclocked alongside 8GB DDR3, and an OC'd 3.16GHz Intel Quad barely manages to break that at full HD resolution, and full max settings. Do not be fooled, modern games running at max need some serious CPU/RAM/GPU power. For example, my setup averages 60-80FPS in Left for Dead 2, at max res and settings, and it could be considered to be more powerful by a fair margain than this PC.

Wow, you are the best! So I am kinda getting the feeling that maybe this is not the right computer for me. Unfortunate, really want a better computer than this Dell studio one touch screen. lol.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! Do you have steam? I'll add you if you PM me your steam name. Play something sometime! :)

Max res for his 19" monitor is probably 1280x1024, might be 1680x1050 if you are lucky. Saying "Max Res" means max res his monitor can support and not that of the games.

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Fraps/Aurora (1920x1200, 0AA, 0AF, High Quality, DX10)
ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB) 30.80

I'll try running the game tonight with single 5850 enabled and let you know the result. I'm pretty sure it couldn't manage constant 60 at 1920x1200. The 4850 is reported as doing about 30 even at 1680x1050, 4AA, 8AF, High Quality, DX10. Probably mostly because of it's small video ram.

I'm looking to find out what PC the cards were tested in but I'm guessing something a lot more powerful than a cheap dual core AMD Athlon II X2 255.

EDIT : 1366 x 768 is the monitors max res, so his frames per second claims might be round about correct. I have an i5 520M laptop with a mobile 5650 1GB card that has that resolution and I'm sure I get at least 40 fps in BC2 on it, but don't think I have it all at max settings, will check that and post back. So if you are happy gaming at that resolution then it might do the job. I'd be tempted to buy parts new for something a bit more powerful.

Back