wxDownLoad Fast D/L Mgr using 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Tried the download manager wxDownLoad Fast 0.5.4 at suggestion of some Firefox users. Using the extension "FlashGot" to integrate it w/ Firefox.

Main problem is DFAST seems to use 100% of the CPU most of the time, regardless of what else is (or isn't) open or running, and whether Firefox is still open or not. This effectively prevents using the PC for anything else while DFAST is running.

There shows to be sufficient free RAM when it's running.

Anyone else used DFast w/ Firefox, and not had this type problem?

Is there a way in XP to limit a SPECIFIC prgm's cpu usage? Tried switching the "Performance Settings" in XP between "Programs" and "Background Services", but made no difference. I didn't think it would.

If any suggestions on free, non-spyware D/L Mgr(s) that would work well w/ my P-3, 1GHz, 512 MB RAM system, I'd appreciate it also.

Thanks.

Thanks Game Junkie,

I assume that you meant, in your opinion, the only thing to do w/ wxDownload Fast was to remove it, 'cause it never worked right?:mad:

Any other d/l mgrs that you use that DO work correctly? Especially on a P-3 1GHz machine?

firefox Download Helper 1.96 is not too bad. it seems a little slow but it does not hog up the cpu usage.

firefox Download Helper 1.96 is not too bad.
I went & looked at Mozilla's add-on site. I found this, but the site "looks" different than a day or 2 ago. I now don't see any review / comments from users for any of the extensions / addons. I looked at several. Either they changed something, or I'm losing it.

What do you know about Free Download Manager?
I noticed on their page http://www.freedownloadmanager.org , it mentions the requirements include Internet Explorer 5 or later. Others have said they use it - a few said they don't even have IE on their PC.

One poster in the FDM forum asked about "hidden" files:suspiciou that FDM seemed to be creating, and why. One of their developers responded that these were files created by FDM, and is part of it's integration w/ IE.

So, I'm a little unclear on what FDM is doing - if it's being as sneaky & subversive as IE is.

But the requirement statement is clear - that IE is required, not that it supports, or integrates w/ IE (and other browsers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back