X-server setup for ATI cards???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaacksheep

Hi. I'm a newbie to Linux, and as with every time I've tried to set it up, I've had an ATI video card in my machine. I've not once been able to set up the x-server to operate an ATI card with the correct resolution on either Red Hat or SuSE. My current machine has an All In Wonder Radeon 7500 PCI card and SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro. No matter how I configure the x-server, I get 720x350 graphics and no other modes. I'm instead using the VESA BIOS x-server so I can run in 1024x768. Anybody know if there is some secret to configuring an ATI card, or should I just sell the card on eBay and put in an Nvidia AGP card?

How do you configure the X server exactly?

You can always go and download the ATI official drivers to help things out.

I'm using YaST in SuSE Linux. I get the same results I've gotten before on other machines running Red Hat with X-configurator or Xfree86 - weird resolutions and color depths. Right now, with the ATI x-server, I can opnly get 720x352 graphics, although it appears to be configured for 1024x768 w/ 24 bit color. I've tried other color depths and resolutions, yet all it actually runs is a resolution that's not listed (720x352).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back