XAMPP, WAMP or something else...

stewi0001

TechSpot Elite
Thanks Techspot store deals,I have been freshening up on web development/design . But I have come to a little bit of a dilemma, I am technically in charge of my company's intranet site. It currently uses outdated versions of Apache2, PHP, and MySQL. So I am debating on when I update it, should I use XAMPP, WAMP, manually set it up or something else.

I have never XAMPP or WAMP in the past so I did not know if they would make it easier for setting up or adding additional or whatever.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome.

FYI: it is on a Windows Server.

Why not just update the Apache environment? Lots of advantages given
  1. you already have it installed, config'd & running (I assume)
  2. which leads to an immediate benefit of experience and familiarity at some level
  3. and the components you list a the major players in web services.
If however, the shop is pressuring you for a "pure windows" environment ... I can only offer condolences. IIS and SQL Server are the expensive windows choices and you still need to get a scripting language like PHP or Perl installed.

There's always the WAMP package that brings Apache, Perl, MySQL in one bundle.

Personally, I install individual packages (Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL) to give independent update support. Keeping each in its own root directory helps in the isolation and creates defacto documentation.

btw: All four are on my laptop development system.

Back