Xbox and Windows NT 3.5 source code hits the Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The source code for Microsoft’s original Xbox console has found its way to the Internet along with code for an early version of Windows. The significance of the leaks is negligible, however, given the software's age but still, Microsoft doesn't want its source out in the open like this.

According to The Verge, the leaked Xbox material includes the kernel for the OS on the original console which was based on Windows 2000 as well as some build environments, emulators used for testing, the Xbox Development and internal Microsoft documents.

A spokesperson for Microsoft told the site that they are aware of the reports and are investigating.

The Verge claims the Xbox source code has previously been shared between enthusiasts privately and thus, likely isn’t going to be helpful in furthering homebrew and emulation efforts.

Also among the leaked material is a near-final version of Windows NT 3.5. The publication said this dump includes all of the necessary build tools to allow enthusiasts to dig deep into the legacy operating system.

Originally launched way back in 1994, Windows NT 3.5 is the second release of Windows NT. Codenamed “Daytona” due to its focus on performance, the OS was supported for several years before being discontinued at the end of 2001. The leak of this material likely isn’t a major concern for Microsoft given its age.

Microsoft isn't the only company to find itself in this sort of situation recently. Nintendo suffered a major data leak earlier this month when more than two terabytes of IP including the source code for the Nintendo 64 and GameCube leaked online.

Permalink to story.

I suppose this will be the new norm. Quite frankly, I'm wondering why all of these console leaks are happening now as opposed to a decade ago...same with NT.

Could it be helpful to the ReactOS project? I've tried it several times. Never could get it to install. Must be the motherboard manufacturer. That begs the question. Which motherboard manufacturer is the most friendly to alternative OS besides Windows? Since 2000, I've always used Asus. But I'm getting tired of their MB's unfriendly nature to anything besides M$. I've had only one success getting Linux to install.

Could it be helpful to the ReactOS project? I've tried it several times. Never could get it to install. Must be the motherboard manufacturer. That begs the question. Which motherboard manufacturer is the most friendly to alternative OS besides Windows? Since 2000, I've always used Asus. But I'm getting tired of their MB's unfriendly nature to anything besides M$. I've had only one success getting Linux to install.
Are you trying to dual boot on the same physical drive? That might be the issue. I used to have problems when I tried partitioning and putting everything on the same drive, but once I gave windows and ubuntu their own separate drives, and had the OS selection via GRUB at boot, everything plays just fine and has for a couple years now.

Back