Xbox Series X/S gain FPS Boost mode that doubles frame rates in older games

David Matthews

Staff member
Bottom line: Xbox Series X and S owners will get one more thing to brag about soon. Microsoft seems committed to ensuring that older titles run great on their shiny new consoles. To that end, the company is introducing FPS Boost, a feature that can increase performance dramatically for older titles, sometimes up to quadruple the original frame rate.

Microsoft is introducing FPS Boost, a feature that improves frame rates for older games without developer action. While some games will see twice the amount of frames per second, other titles can see even larger boosts.

This latest feature is continuing Microsoft's initiative to support older games on newer hardware. For now, the games that support FPS Boost include Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4, New Super Lucky's Tale, Far Cry 4, and Watch Dogs 2. Microsoft says that UFC 4 will run up to 60fps on Series S while New Super Lucky's Tale can run up to 120fps.

Gamers can activate FPS Boost by going to the new "Compatibility Options" button under the section "Manage Game."

Once FPS Boost is activated, there will be an indicator similar to the Quick Resume indicator for supported games. This means that you can choose to play the game as it originally released or with FPS Boost activated. FPS Boost will officially launch soon with a new system update.

Microsoft has been positioning the Xbox as sort of a PC-like experience with its focus on backwards compatibility with older titles. This feature will certainly be welcome for gamers who desire more performance for their last-gen game collection as the higher framerate can translate into smoother gameplay. It's also great to see Microsoft leveraging the power of their next-gen consoles to improve the experience for their fanbase.

Permalink to story.

I am extremely disappointed in the direction Xbox has taken since xbox 360.

The Xbox One was underwhelming to many, but I stuck by it.

But to release the revision Xbox One X and Xbox One S was annoying to me. Everyone should be on a single console spec so everyone has the same expectations and results.

SONY deserves to be winning. They keep making good decisions.

"SONY deserves to be winning. They keep making good decisions."
Maybe partly true.Maybe not.
I would say there was a notice of intent when Bethesda was bought.

I am extremely disappointed in the direction Xbox has taken since xbox 360.

The Xbox One was underwhelming to many, but I stuck by it.

But to release the revision Xbox One X and Xbox One S was annoying to me. Everyone should be on a single console spec so everyone has the same expectations and results.

Well, on PC everybody has different hardware and software configuration. If it is not huge problem there, I think Xbox is good with two different specced console.

Like rushing their console release (because of Xbox pressure)? Or dropping the ball when it comes to customization with the face plates? Or reluctantly jumping on the cross-play bandwagon?

Don't pretend that Sony has been making only good decisions recently. MS, for their credit, has also been making good decisions, like not forcing you to buy yet another controller, launching the xbox with more complete software, supporting us PC gamers, and a continuously ongoing support for BC (to name a few).

The split console specs are annoying, but the other angle is that it's easier to afford for some gamers (and that certainly is a plus in my books).

Last edited:

Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 also had revised models. Remember the 4GB budget Xbox and the PS3 Slim? It's a not a big deal to most of us, and it allowed late adopters to get desired features like integrated Wi-Fi.

The other benefit was that the existing generation of consoles was able to last for several more years before the new consoles were introduced, allowing the following generation to be more refined.

I actually think the series s was a good idea. I think they should have used more memory, but it would have increased price too and the price is what I like about it. A lot of consoles are going to be for kids and I can tell you from experience that they really don't care what resolution or frame rate they are playing at until they are older so it makes sense not to throw a ton of money in to a system sometimes. I actually think because of the price that I might pick one up when they can be had for MSRP for the simple reason that I have a ton of old xbox 360 and xbox one games from getting games for gold for years and from purchasing digitally.

I actually think the series s was a good idea. I think they should have used more memory, but it would have increased price too and the price is what I like about it. A lot of consoles are going to be for kids and I can tell you from experience that they really don't care what resolution or frame rate they are playing at until they are older so it makes sense not to throw a ton of money in to a system sometimes. I actually think because of the price that I might pick one up when they can be had for MSRP for the simple reason that I have a ton of old xbox 360 and xbox one games from getting games for gold for years and from purchasing digitally.
Completely agree. There are many people out there who are still playing on 1080p televisions as well. The Series S is definitely a budget conscious move that won't make sense to some people. Even the Nintendo Switch underperforms compared to even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, but that doesn't make it obsolete. I can't wait to see what else they do with FPS Boost and other backwards compatible features. Metro Exodus just released an update that allows the Series S to play at 1080p with ray tracing and that is just an upgrade. Just imagine how games will do when developed for the Series S with the dedicated hardware for things like ray tracing and Velocity architecture.

Yeah let's praise the company that keep lying to players to seem better than xbox in media.
Sorry but they dont make enough great games to make their hypocrisy disappear.
Amen to that. People look so blind when it's about sony. On the other hand MS continuous to release and consider how much we invest in games I can play all halo games or gear of war games on one console while in order to play all my God of war investments I need a ps3 and a ps4. How can people praise something like that?

Back